Match Report for week ending 10th April 2010

In the Premier Division, Hendon FC are the form team as they chalked up their fourth consecutive win as they trounced Hylton CW 6-1.

The rout was led by Martin Jackson as he hit 2 goals and further goals from Steven Clark, David Rush, Jason Gargett and the ageless Phil Meek seal an impressive win. Darren Snowball hit a late consolation for the Colliers.
 The win lifts Hendon FC to the dizzy heights of 3
rd place and left manager Marcus Turnbull beaming with pride, the Avram Grant lookalike said “I’m over the moon with form of the lads after an indifferent start to the season and I hope we can finish the season with a flourish. I can now go home and enjoy putting my feet up and devour a nice pattie lot”.

Jolly Potters strengthened their grip on the title as they eased to a 7-0 win against Hendon Grange Global Gym. The Potters have opened up a healthy lead at the top and only a serious loss of form can lose them the title.

Redhouse moved to second in the table as they won 4-3 in an enthralling encounter away to Colonel Prior.

Colonel Prior stormed into a 2-0 lead as they tore into Redhouse who just couldn’t live with the Prior’s attacking play. Redhouse did manage to salvage a crucial goal from an inept first half display as left back John Dixon drilled his shot into the bottom corner.  Just when Redhouse thought they were back in the game, Davy Taylor misjudged a ball over the top and ended up pulling back the forward as he raced into the box and they referee pointed to the spot. Up stepped Gary Adey to slot home the spot kick and restore his sides 2 goal lead.

 Stern words were said in a heated half time team talk in the Redhouse camp, they came out for the second half fired up and playing a new formation and were driven on by the outstanding Steven ‘Hurricane’ Anderson who blew Prior away with his display. Redhouse were creating and missing numerous chances but they soon got back into the game as Steven Anderson slotted past the keeper after great work fom both Huggins and Melia.    From then on it was all Redhouse as they made use of the extra man in midfield to pass their way through the Prior ranks. The equalizer however came from the penalty spot, Gareth Braziers overhead kick was handled by a Prior defender leaving the referee little option but to award the kick. Up stepped Anderson to smash home the spot kick for his second of the game and a deserved equaliser for his side.    At 3-3 the Prior looked a beaten team as Redhouse began to turn on the style and they capped off their magnificent display by grabbing the winning goal as Dale Huggins raced through to fire past the on rushing keeper and send the away fans into delirium.
Steven Richardson was star man for the Prior.

Chesters BB were also involved in an epic game as they edged a 3-2 victory against a hard done Houghton Town B.

It was the B-team that started the brighter and they raced into a 2-0 lead thanks to goals from Jackson and Magnus. The second half saw Chesters make changes to personnel and this seemed to work as they capped a memorable fight back to steal the points thanks to birthday boy Marc ‘Smiler’ Stephenson who hit 2 goals and a fine Anthony Yates strike.

In the First Division
East Durham Spartans impressive run continues as they produced a trojan like performance to beat a lacklustre Sassco Uk 4-0.
Spartans also grabbed another great point as they held Hylton CW Juniors to a 0-0 draw on Monday night.

Arms City Coachworks seem to be over their minor blip in form as they hammered The Cove 8-0.  Goals from Chris Bewick (2), Richard Timm (2), Steven Herkes, Gordon Pratt-Glendenning, Jake Baker and Simon Birch sealed a comfortable win for the Arms.

Arms City Coachworks also had a game on Monday night and grinded out a hard fought 2-1 win at home to Shiney Row Country Park Inn, goals from Chris Bewick and Richard Timm gave the Arms three valuable points in their quest for promotion.

Times Inn produced a gutsy display as they earned a smashing point holding a frustrated Hylton CW Juniors to a 0-0 draw.

Shiney Row Travellers Rest can put the blame on woeful finishing as they could only muster a 1-1 draw against a plucky Saltgrass. Ian Old grabbed the goal for Saltgrass, the Travellers replied through Rowntree.

Another goalless was produced as both
Cambridge Hotel and Shiney Row Country Park Inn cancelled each other out.

The battle for the First Division title is a two horse race as both the top two teams won.
Colliery Tavern are point behind the leaders as they increased their goal difference as they handed out a 6-0 beating to Park View.

Carl Chapman was the Tavern hero as he bagged a well taken hattrick and was backed up by strikes from David Dixon, Michael ‘Chip’ Bulmer and Anthony Stokell.

Washington Cricket Club regained top spot as they won their local derby 5-1 at the expense of Usworth FC.

Washington began well as their fluent football was creating a series of opportunities in the opening exchanges of the match.  Usworth’s route one long ball tactics were causing the Washington back four problems, then on 10 minutes indecision inside the Cricketers defence saw a long ball fall kindly inside the box to be prodded home to give Usworth an early lead.

Although stunned by the goal, Washington rallied and were still playing attractive football which again created several opportunities to find that elusive equaliser, one chance in particular coming back off the crossbar from a left footed drive by David Fittes. Usworth were competing well and were making life difficult for the league leaders and went into the break still leading 1-0.

Washington continued to press at the beginning of the second half and eventually got the equaliser when David Fittes flicked in a well flighted Anthony Dixon free kick.  The second goal was not long coming and it duly arrived from a corner which was headed back across goal for David Laidler to head home. Andy Ebdale got a quality third goal after some great one touch football and a cool finish put the game to bed.  Further goals by Costa Lorraine and an Anthony Dixon penalty capped a superb second half performance for the Cricketers.
The semi finals of the TWR Commercial League Challenge Cup were played on Monday night,
Chesters BB caused a major upset as they outfought and outplayed a toothless Jolly Potter at Thompson Park. Chesters ran out 2-0 winners as the Potters suffered more cup heartbreak.
In the other semi final,
Aquatic Sports marched into another final as they stormed to a 3-1 win against a game Blue House.
Blue House started the stronger side and they thought they had took the lead when Brian Carter smashed the ball home only for the linesman to rule the effort offside. Aquatic then got a bit of luck when they took the lead as their forward struck a weak shot and watched in amazement as he saw his effort trickle under the arms of the visiting keeper to give Dave Hoey’s men the lead.

Not long after the second half got under away, Aquatic got the crucial second goal when a short pass back was latched onto by the forward and slipped into the net and this gave the Blue House a mountain to climb. The Blue kept the pressure on and kept the Aquatic keeper busy but nothing would go in for the Blue House and it was good as over when Aquatic where awarded a penalty for a late tackle and the resulting penalty was tucked away to make it 3-0.

Credit must be given to the Blue as they  didn't let their heads drop and tried to get back into the tie and deservedly pulled a goal back as Tony Armstrong volleyed the ball through a packed box and into the left corner to make it 3-1. Aquatic held on to book their place in the final. Martin Hope was outstanding for Blue House.
Aquatic Sports will now meet Chesters BB in the final on Friday 7
th May 2010.

The League are now having to play midweek fixtures due to the shocking winter that was endured and there were numerous games played on Wednesday night.

In the Premier Division
Aquatic Sports can forget about winning the league as they suffered a 3-2 defeat at home to Houghton Town B. Goals from Andrew Steele, Dean Smith and Lee Southern ensured that Town came away with three vital points.

Aquatic hope to pick up some silverware in the 2 cup finals that they have reached.

Hylton CW have faded as the season ends and this showed in their play as they were given a footballing lesson by Jolly Potters who ran out 7-1 winners. The Potters now only need eight points from their remaining four games to claim the title.

In the First Division,
Washington Cricket Club kept hold of top spot as they were made to work hard for their 2-0 success at Cambridge Hotel. Goals from Philip Ingram and Anthony Dixon kept the Cricketers at the top of the summit who also had Liam Wailes as man of the match.

Colliery Tavern are keeping a tight grip on the tails of the leaders as they ended East Durham Spartans unbeaten run with a 5-0 win at Rolls Royce. Taverns goals came from Michael Bulmer (2), Anthony Stokell (2) and Darren Straughan.

Sassco Uk returned to form as they narrowly beat Times Inn 2-1.