Match Report for week ending 08th May 2010

Aquatic Sports celebrated well into the early hours of Saturday morning after they were victorious in winning the TWR Commercial League Cup Final against Chesters BB at Meadow Park. It was a cracking game which was decided on penalties after they game had finished 1-1 after extra time.
Conditions were sublime for the occasion with the sun shining and a nice cool breeze and a good game of football was anticipated, Chesters started off the better side moving the ball around well but were let down by the final pass. Aquatic were struggling to get their game going and were on the backfoot for a long spell and only last ditch defending and good keeping stopped the Chesters taking the lead. Just after the half hour and it was Chesters who took a deserved lead as Ian ‘Redgy’ Redman rose highest to thump a header into the roof of the net to spark wild celebrations on and off the pitch. This sprung Aquatic into life and they finished the first half the stronger side.
The second half was a different contrast to the first as Aquatic came out a totally different side, manager David Hoey was rumoured to have thrown a flask and a dozen plastic cups off the dressing room wall in disgust at his sides performance in the first half.
Aquatic set about Chesters like a pride of lions stalking their prey before they move in for the kill, the equaliser duly arrived on 55 minutes as a corner was floated in and was met by Scott Johnston who headed it over the line amid desperate claims from the Chesters saying it had not crossed the line, the Russian linesman on the far side signalled the ball crossed the line 1-1. The rest of the half saw Aquatic camped in the Chesters half and chances were created but shocking misses and good goalkeeping kept the scores level to send the game into extra time.
Extra time saw both sides tire as the game was now stretched and end to end but very few chances were created and a penalty shoot-out loomed.
Aquatic won the shoot-out 4-3 thanks to superb saves from the impressive Kyle Donaldson.
A jubilant Dave Hoey, Aquatic manager couldn’t contain his delight “what can i say? I’ve got tears in me eyes and a lump in me throat but credit to the lads they kept going to the end and i thought our keeper was top drawer. We are gonna celebrate in style at Kev Wilsons’ house with a bottle of Thunderbird and homemade spam fritters”.
Washington Cricket Club dished out a 7-1 thrashing to The Cove as they got the points they need to win the First Division title.
The game started slowly for the Cricketers with the visitors having a few opportunities early on. But once Ross Alsopp scored the first goal there was no way back for The Cove as the floodgates opened.  Further goals from Phil Ingram 2, David Fittes, Anthony Dixon and Chris Ingram 2 put the game to bed with The Cove scoring a consolation goal midway through the first half.
Once the final whistle went the celebrations started and the champagne corks were popping, the Cricketers won the league by going unbeaten, a remarkable achievement earning them the title of ‘the invincibles’. Richard Shenton starred for the Cove.
Colliery Tavern finished runners up and couldn’t find any form as they suffered a 3-2 defeat against a resurgent Hylton Colliery Juniors at the Billy Hardy Centre.
Star man Anthony Stokell and David Dixon hit the goals for the Tavern.
Cambridge Hotel finished the season on a high as they put together a fantastic performance to defeat Times Inn 6-2.
Anthony Mullen led the way with a super hattrick, Craig McShane kept up his goalscoring form by grabbing a brace and Gavin Mullen completed the rout. Goals for the Times Inn were score by Michael Donkin and Norman Newton.
East Durham Spartans and Shiney Row Country Park Inn shared the points as they fought out an enthralling 3-3 draw.
On Wednesday night Sassco Uk were never at the races as they fell to a sorry 6-2 at the hands of a rampant East Durham Spartans. The former fielded a depleted side and despite goals from Muers (2) and Andy Turner, they just couldn’t repel an attack minded Spartans.
Arms City Coachworks have ended their season on a whimper as the suffered defeat in their last 3 games.
They lost 3-1 against a spirited Sassco Uk thanks to goals from Nicky Smith (2) and Ramsay.
They also had two midweek games and lost both 1-0 against Colliery Tavern and Hylton Colliery Juniors.
In the Premier Division Redhouse clinched the runners up spot as they put in a smashing team performance to clinch a 5-3 victory at home to champions Jolly Potters.
  In a game of chances galore Redhouse quickly found themselves 2-0 up as Liam Wooton and Dale Huggins applied the finishes to fine flowing moves involving the wizard Trigger Melia.  Jolly Potter then came roaring back into the game and unbelievably found themselves 3-2 ahead in a matter of no time.  Centre half Basher Thompson got the pick of them with a stunning bicycle kick following a quick counter attack. Redhouse tried to respond but Wooton and Huggins both saw their efforts cannon off the bar.   Redhouse management team read the riot act for letting the lead slip and it had the desired effect as they came out a different team after the break.  Trigger Melia fired in the equalizer, the goal seemed to end Potters interest in the game as they had already wrapped up the title and had little to gain from flying into challenges and closing down on a hot day when playing for nothing.  However Redhouse contrived to miss chance after chance after chance, Tommy Bell, Liam Wooton and Lee Melia being the main culrprits.   It took captain Dale Huggins to show the forwards how it was done, when in the 75th minute he broke from midfield and blasted home into the top corner his 12th goal in only his 12th game since signing. There was to be let drama as Redhouse were reduced to ten men with Gareth Brazier seeing red.  Potters would had looked disinterested for most of the second half suddenly sensed the chance to have the last laugh on the day and started attacking Redhouse with purpose. However as they committed more men forward Liam Wooton broke and was hauled down for a penalty.   Last minute sub Teeb "the waterboy" Farrah  grabbed the ball,  much to the horror and annoyance of the Redhouse management and fans, but  to everyones relief (not least his own)  his  scuffed penalty just about made it across the line after the keeper had guessed the wrong way.   Dale Huggins was yet again man of the match for Redhouse, who on reflection will curse a horrid couple of months just before christmas which effectively cost them a chance of having a proper tilt at the title.   
Houghton Town B had to settle for a point as Dawdon CW rallied to claim a 4-4 draw.
Andrew Steele stole the show as he helped himself to a sublime hattrick and was ably assisted with a strike from star man Lee Southern.
Colonel Prior ended their season with a bang as they thumped Blue House 6-2 at Stannington Grove.
 From the start of the game the Prior were solid all over the pitch and defended well when needed. Prior took the lead with Pescod hitting a free kick from his own half over the Blue House keeper and into the net. Dave Mitchell finished well from great work and cross from Pescod to make it 2-0. Blue House got one back after a horrid mistake from the Prior defender.
The second half saw the Prior continue playing well and ended up scoring 4 more goals, Gary Mitchell hit two more goals to complete his hattrick and strikes from Ross McLagan and Dale Spence penalty completed the scoring.
The League will now have 5 new teams for the 2010/2011 season as Victoria Gardens became the latest team to join in what will be a more than competitive league next season.