Match Report for Week Ending 1st May 2010

Washington Cricket Club only need to win their final game of the season to win the First Division championship, they were given a right scare though as they left it late to clinch a dramatic 3-2 win away to a stubborn and well organised Sassco Uk.
Washington started brightly playing their expansive, fluent football and were creating opportunities using the full width of the pitch. They were rewarded for their endeavour when slick movement down the right allowed Ross Allsop to pull the ball back for Costa Lorraine to expertly flick the ball high over the keeper and into the far corner to give the Cricketers a deserved lead.
Instead of building on their early lead Washington took their foot off the pedal and allowed Sassco back into the game, with poor passes going astray and a growing concern on the touchline from the watching support. The inevitable occurred when confusion in the Washington back four allowed Sassco to manufacture an equaliser to stun the league leaders just as half time approached.
After a few choice words at the interval, Washington began the 2nd half more committed to their cause and got their reward as they regained the lead when David Fittes fired home after a corner was knocked down into the box. Although Washington werent at their fluent best they were still creating opportunities, but lacked composure to finish the game as a contest.
Then once again Sassco got back on level terms with a suspiciously looking offside goal, much to the dismay of the travelling support. With time running out and the frantic attempts of the Cricketers failing to make an impact, up stepped the man of the moment to score a crucial goal. From a corner, a goalmouth scramble ensued and Liam Wailes fired home the ball to score the vital goal to put Washington back on course for the title.
Shiney Row Travellers are having a strong finish to the season as they racked up another win in a 6-0 rout of East Durham Spartans.
Goals from Brett Edwards (2), J Rowntree (2), M Dixon and B Rowntree earned the Travellers the three points, whilst a sparkling performance from Phil Robinson was all in vain for the Spartans.
Craig McShane was at the double as his two goals gave Cambridge Hotel a well earned 2-1 against Saltgrass.
The Cove were powerless as they were unable to stop Hylton CW Juniors from going on a scoring spree, the Juniors found their scoring boots as they strolled to an emphatic 8-1 win at the Billy Hardy Centre.
Dave ‘goal machine’ Ward led the way with a hattrick, Darryl Cullerton weighed in with two goals as did Gavin Dorward. Veteran Steve Harrison rounded off the scoring as Hylton continue their push for promotion.
There were goals galore in the Premier Division, Blue House are looking to claim the runners up spot and they did their chances no harm at all as they stunned newly crowned champions Jolly Potter to claim a 4-3 win at Stannington Grove.
Jolly Potter started the strongest team and took the lead when there were awarded a soft penatly and this was dispatched by Steve Robson with ease leaving the keeper with no chance of saving it. This stirred Blue House into action and they pulled there socks up and got stuck in and started to play some scincillating football and they were soon on level terms when Alan Golightly whipped the ball in from the right for Martin Hope to pounce at the back post and slot it into the net.
Blue House were playing like a team possessed as the Potters struggled to play at a high tempo and it was no surprise when the latter fell behind as they gave away a silly penalty, Michael Pattison stepped up and smashed it into the net to give the Blue a well deserved lead. The remainder of the first half saw Potters defend for their lives as Blue House created enough chances to win three games but surprise surprise there was no end product.
The second half saw the Potters come out and play like champions and they went out on the attack straight away and Luke Sanders ruthlessly grabbed the equaliser. Pattison had chances to put the Blue House ahead again but Jolly Potters defenders were putting in last ditch tackles, Pattison was not to be thwarted as he grabbed his second of the game as he supplied a cool finish to round off a flowing move. The game was end to end and the quality of the play was superb and this was backed up by a stupendous equaliser for the Potters – David Keithley produced a Beckham like curler which found the bottom corner leaving the keeper stranded.  Both teams went all out for the winner much to the admiration from both sets of supporters who were in full voice.
A moment of magic can win a game and that is what won the game for the Blue House, a fine move was finished off in style as Paul ‘Heather off Eastenders’ Carter fired in an unstoppable 18 yard thunderbolt.
Chesters BB were involved in titanic battle at Thompson Park but they fell short of the finish line as they lost 4-3 to a much improved Hendon FC.
Goals from Dan Makin (2) and Dean McKeown were all in vain for the Chesters, but it was the inspirational display of Steven Clark that swayed the game as he grabbed two well taken goals. Kyle Sumner and Graeme Thornton completed the scoring for Marcus ‘Avram Grant’ Turnbull’s side as they look to cement a top four finish.
Redhouse are another team who have picked up form in recent weeks and this continued as they claimed a 4-1 victory over a sorry Aquatic Sports.
Dale Huggins (2), Liam Wooton and man of the match Neil Middlemiss got the Redhouse goals. Alan Palin grabbed a consolation goal for Aquatic who were not long ago title contenders and have lost their way a bit and now find themselves languishing mid table.
Colonel Prior put their cup final disappointment behind them as they came away with a 4-3 win at Houghton Town B. It was a good game of football as both teams went for it with the game going end to end with plenty chances for both teams. Prior took the lead as debutant McKenna got on the end of a Richardson flick to cooly lob the keeper. Houghton responded well as they took control of the game and eventually went ahead as they scored two well taken. The Prior though to their credit kept going and grabbed a well deserved equaliser as David Sanderson thumped home a header from a McLagan corner.
Houghton started the second half with more urgency in their play and they duly took the lead against the run of play. The introduction of Dale Spence changed the game as his presence seemed to lift the Prior, they nickname him Ronaldo and he showed them why as he hit an equaliser of the highest quality – beating three players and ended it with a cool finish. Spence wasn’t finished as it was more great play from him which created the winning goal for the Prior as Peter Dagg found the net much to the delight of his team mates.
Steven Richardson starred again for the Prior.
On Bank Holiday Monday, the Jolly Potter claimed their second trophy of the season as they beat a below par Aquatic Sports 2-0 to lift the Alan Hood Memorial Trophy in front of a healthy crowd at Meadow Park.
Aquatic boss Dave Hoey was gutted at the defeat saying “Well it just wasn’t meant to be, we were missing a few regulars today but that is no excuse as give the Potters their due they were good today and deserved to win. We’ve now got to pick ourselves up for the League Cup final on Friday night and I hope that we have some silverware in the trophy cabinet at the end of the season”.
East Durham Spartans outgunned a lethargic Saltgrass as goals from Paul Bendelow (2), Dan Keers and star man Scott Jackson gave the Spartans three deserved points.
Arms City Coachworks are locked in a two way battle for third place in the First Division and they remain favourites to do so as they battled to a 1-0 win away to East Durham Spartans on Wednesday.
Chris Bewick grabbed the winning goal for the Arms.
Hylton CW Juniors remain hot on the heels of the Arms as they romped to a 4-1 success at home to Shiney Row Travellers Rest.
David Ward was again in fine scoring form as he netted twice, further goals from Shaun Harrison and Lee Bell kept the Juniors in fourth place.
Shiney Row Country Park Inn grabbed three points as they won an epic 4-3 thriller away to Sassco UK. Marc Evans was the hero for Park Inn as he scored a fantastic hattrick and Glenn Irving scored to clinch the win.
In the Premier Division Chesters BB warmed up for their cup final in style as they won 6-2 against high flying Blue House.
Blue House simply had no answer to Chesters style of play as goals Greg Dixon (2), Nathan Coomber (2), Leighton Cook and Chris Foster secured the points.
The win lifts Chesters to a mid table finish and can now look forward to the TWR Commercial League Cup Final.