Match Report for Week Ending 24th April 2010

The Jolly Potters finally clinched the Premier Division title with a few games to spare as they brushed aside the challenge of Aquatic Sports with a comprehensive 4-1 victory. Both teams meet again on Bank Holiday Monday as they contest the Alan Hood Memorial Trophy Final.
Blue House kept up there unbeaten run as they defeated Dawdon CW 4-0.
Blue House started the game the much better side and were on the attack straight away and it wasn’t long before Colin Stokoe’s men were in front as Dean Machin waltzed through the defence and poked the ball under the keeper. Blue House had the ball in the net again but the goal was ruled offside much to the disgruntlement of the voicerous travelling support. Dawdon had their moments but Blue House were getting much stronger as the game went on and had several efforts at goal but time and time again they were thwarted by the impressive Dawdon keeper. The home keeper was powerless to prevent the visitors extending their lead as Martin Hope swept home after being put clean through.
The second half saw Dawdon begin to fade as they could not match Blue House superior fitness and it was soon 3-0 as Luke Morrow capped an impressive display with a thunderous strike into the top corner. Blue house went for more goals as they set about their opponents in ruthless fashion and it was left to Martin Hope to grab his second goal of the game with a clinical finish to seal the win for his side.
Colonel Prior warmed up for their cup final with a 2-2 draw against fellow underachievers Houghton Town B.
The Prior again were struggling for a side and only just had the 11 there for the game, the B-team began well and were pressing well as their opponents struggled to get out of their own half. The Prior fell behind as the Town forward finished well despite calls for offside.
The second half saw the Prior making an effort to get back into the game, but against the run of play Town went further ahead thanks to another classy finish. The Prior got back into the game as a cross was put into the penalty box which was flicked in by Adey. Prior were pushing for an equalizer and it came with the last kick of the game as the ball came in and went across the face of goal with Sanderson having the task of putting it into the net to grab his side a well deserved point.
Redhouse are chasing the runners up spot and did their chances no harm at all as they trounced Chesters BB 8-0.
Star of the show was Liam Wooton who bagged four goals, Dale Huggins was also impressive as he netted a hattrick and Steven Anderson rounded off the scoring.
Redhouse were also in action on Monday night and they put in a disappointing performance as they lost 2-1 away to Hylton CW. Dale Huggins netted a consolation goal for Redhouse.
It was Clash of the Titans as the First Division top two teams met in what was a Championship decider. In the end both Washington Cricket Club and Colliery Tavern had to settle for a point apiece as they served up an entertaining 2-2 draw.
The game kicked off at a frantic pace with the Tavern having plenty of possession without looking dangerous. The more slick approach play came from the home team, causing problems for the visitors defence. Then on 20 minutes clever build up play down the left saw Phil Ingram cross from the by-line for Costa Lorraine to put the league leaders in front. The lead lasted only 7 minutes when from a corner Anthony Stokell had a  simple tap in was created to bring the scores level.
Almost immediately from the restart David Fittes picked the ball up in midfield and with a startling turn of pace broke through the visitors defence only to be pulled down by the keeper,  Anthony Dixon easily converted the spot kick to give the cricketers an early second half lead.
Both teams had opportunities during the remainder of the half, non better than a penalty miss by the Tavern. They eventually got the equaliser late on when a ball hung up at the far post was easily headed in by Shaun McGregor.
Sassco UK edged out Times Inn as they won 4-3 in a thriller at Thompson Park.
It was Times Inn who drew first blood as they took the lead as Michael Curry pounced on a defensive mistake to hammer the ball into the roof of the net. Sassco responded in style as Steven ‘Titch’ Conlin headed into the net after a fine save from the home keeper.
The second half was end to end stuff but it was the Times Inn who regained the lead as Curry grabbed his second of the game and not long after it was 3-1 to the home side as Curry grabbed another goal for his hattrick. Sassco immediately pulled their finger out and soon pulled a goal back as Conlin nodded in from a free kick, the indominatable Conlin grabbed his hattrick and the equaliser with ten minutes left firing in a shot from a tight angle.
Both teams were now going for the winner and it was Sassco UK who grabbed the three points as a corner was whipped in and the ball flew into the net off Anthony Pearson’s face – he still has the ball mark on his face today.
Mark ‘Left Peg’ Neal starred for Times Inn.
East Durham Spartans are having a good first season and it showed as they put bottom side The Cove to the sword with a 3-1 victory.
Park View and Usworth shared the points as they fought out a 1-1 draw.
Hylton Colliery Juniors grabbed three points to keep alive their slim hopes of promotion as they won 2-1 at home to Shiney Row Country Park Inn.
Shiney Row Travellers Rest continued their good form as they ran out easy winners in a 5-1 win over Cambridge Hotel.
Star man Chris Bishop hit a consolation goal for the Hoteliers, but they had no answer to the style of the Travellers play as they won the game with goals from Dixon (2), Bridge, Sinclair and a penalty from man of the match Brett Rowntree.
The Arms City Coachworks didn’t let their off-field problems distract them as they look to cement third place and they continued their good form with a 5-1 thumping of The Saltgrass.
The Arms started the game well but as per usual chances went begging and against the run of play the Saltgrass took a surprise lead as Louis Thornton scored a screamer which left the keeper stranded.
The Arms introduced Baker for the second half and it didn’t take him long to assert his influence on the game as he curled in a sublime effort to haul his side level. A minute later the Arms won back the ball and after some short passing saw the ball land at Chris Bewick’s feet and he finished well from 12 yards to give his side a 2-1 lead.
This knocked the stuffing out of the Saltgrass and it was no surprise when the Arms made it 3-1 when Ryan Ascherl thumped in a header from a Peter Harding corner. Chris Bewick then took over as he struck twice more to claim another hattrick and a well deserved three points.
On Monday night the
Arms City Coachworks suffered a 4-2 defeat away to Shiney Row Country Park Inn. Richard Timm and star man Stephen Wright grabbed the consolation goals for the Arms.
Park View put up an outstanding display as they came away with a point after an enthralling 4-4 draw against Cambridge Hotel.
Star man Steve Saville grabbed a brace and was backed up with strikes from Simon Peacock and David Lilwall.
Colliery Tavern regained top spot albeit for a couple of days as they won 5-1 away to East Durham Spartans.
Goals from Anthony Stokell (2), Ben Ward, Michael Bulmer and Shaun McGregor saw the Tavern continue their charge for the title.
Blue House produced a stunning second half display as they defeated Colonel Prior 3-1 in the Wearmouth & Hylton Charity Cup Final at Meadow Park.
It was a cagey opening from both sides and Brian Carter nearly put the Blue House in front but he scuffed his shot after going on a mazy run. It the Prior who were playing the better football as Steve Richardson started to put his influence on the game, chances were very few to come by as both defences stood firm.
The breakthrough came midway through the first half as the Prior took a deserved lead, David Sanderson hooking the ball into the roof of the net after a Ross McLagan corner caused chaos in the Blue House defence. Blue House tried to get back into the game but were reduced to long range efforts which were going hopelessly wide as the Prior defence were holding with Marsh looking impressive.
The second half was a total change as Blue House were out the traps faster than a speeding bullet and got a deserved equaliser in bizarre fashion as Adey in the Prior goal made a hash of his clearance and Michael Pattinson pounced on the loose ball to gleefully stroke into the net much to the delight of the large following of Blue House supporters.
This spurred on Blue House and they set about the Prior like a pack of wild dogs and they took the lead 10 minutes later as slack marking allowed Alan Golightly to head home after a fine cross fom James Gilhespy. Prior were deflated and couldn’t muster a chance as Blue House took control of the game and they sealed victory as a long ball over the top was pounced on by Michael Pattison who produced an outrageous finish to send the crowd wild.
The Prior just couldn’t respond and Blue House held on to lift the trophy and they celebrated back at the pub with several Cherry Lambrinis and dozens of curry battered buns donated by sponsor Paul’s Golden Chippy.
On Wednesday night,
Blue House must have been suffering from a massive hangover from their cup final shenanigans as they were well beaten 4-1 by a resurgent Redhouse.
In the First Division
Park View put on an impressive display as they earned three points as they defeated East Durham Spartans 4-2.
Sassco UK produced a feeble display as they suffered a 5-2 hammering at home to Usworth FC.
It is getting very nervy at the top of the First Division and
Washington Cricket Club proved they have bottle as they overcame a very tricky game with Arms City Coachworks as they produced an emphatic performance with a 9-1 victory.
Goals from Gavin Pine, Phil Ingram, Liam Wailes, Steven Cuthbertson, David Fittes, Craig Ingram and a wonderful hattrick from the mercurial Costa Lorraine sent the Cricketers back to pole position.
A great game is anticipated on Bank Holiday Monday as both Aquatic Sports and league champions Jolly Potters do battle in the Alan Hood Memorial Trophy. The game is to be played at Meadow Park, home of Sunderland RCA with kick off at 10.30am.