Match Report for Week Ending 24th April 2010

The Jolly Potters finally clinched the Premier Division title with a few games to spare as they brushed aside the challenge of Aquatic Sports with a comprehensive 4-1 victory. Both teams meet again on Bank Holiday Monday as they contest the Alan Hood Memorial Trophy Final.
Blue House kept up there unbeaten run as they defeated Dawdon CW 4-0.
Blue House started the game the much better side and were on the attack straight away and it wasn’t long before Colin Stokoe’s men were in front as Dean Machin waltzed through the defence and poked the ball under the keeper. Blue House had the ball in the net again but the goal was ruled offside much to the disgruntlement of the voicerous travelling support. Dawdon had their moments but Blue House were getting much stronger as the game went on and had several efforts at goal but time and time again they were thwarted by the impressive Dawdon keeper. The home keeper was powerless to prevent the visitors extending their lead as Martin Hope swept home after being put clean through.
The second half saw Dawdon begin to fade as they could not match Blue House superior fitness and it was soon 3-0 as Luke Morrow capped an impressive display with a thunderous strike into the top corner. Blue house went for more goals as they set about their opponents in ruthless fashion and it was left to Martin Hope to grab his second goal of the game with a clinical finish to seal the win for his side.
Colonel Prior warmed up for their cup final with a 2-2 draw against fellow underachievers Houghton Town B.
The Prior again were struggling for a side and only just had the 11 there for the game, the B-team began well and were pressing well as their opponents struggled to get out of their own half. The Prior fell behind as the Town forward finished well despite calls for offside.
The second half saw the Prior making an effort to get back into the game, but against the run of play Town went further ahead thanks to another classy finish. The Prior got back into the game as a cross was put into the penalty box which was flicked in by Adey. Prior were pushing for an equalizer and it came with the last kick of the game as the ball came in and went across the face of goal with Sanderson having the task of putting it into the net to grab his side a well deserved point.
Redhouse are chasing the runners up spot and did their chances no harm at all as they trounced Chesters BB 8-0.
Star of the show was Liam Wooton who bagged four goals, Dale Huggins was also impressive as he netted a hattrick and Steven Anderson rounded off the scoring.
Redhouse were also in action on Monday night and they put in a disappointing performance as they lost 2-1 away to Hylton CW. Dale Huggins netted a consolation goal for Redhouse.
It was Clash of the Titans as the First Division top two teams met in what was a Championship decider. In the end both Washington Cricket Club and Colliery Tavern had to settle for a point apiece as they served up an entertaining 2-2 draw.
The game kicked off at a frantic pace with the Tavern having plenty of possession without looking dangerous. The more slick approach play came from the home team, causing problems for the visitors defence. Then on 20 minutes clever build up play down the left saw Phil Ingram cross from the by-line for Costa Lorraine to put the league leaders in front. The lead lasted only 7 minutes when from a corner Anthony Stokell had a  simple tap in was created to bring the scores level.
Almost immediately from the restart David Fittes picked the ball up in midfield and with a startling turn of pace broke through the visitors defence only to be pulled down by the keeper,  Anthony Dixon easily converted the spot kick to give the cricketers an early second half lead.
Both teams had opportunities during the remainder of the half, non better than a penalty miss by the Tavern. They eventually got the equaliser late on when a ball hung up at the far post was easily headed in by Shaun McGregor.
Sassco UK edged out Times Inn as they won 4-3 in a thriller at Thompson Park.
It was Times Inn who drew first blood as they took the lead as Michael Curry pounced on a defensive mistake to hammer the ball into the roof of the net. Sassco responded in style as Steven ‘Titch’ Conlin headed into the net after a fine save from the home keeper.
The second half was end to end stuff but it was the Times Inn who regained the lead as Curry grabbed his second of the game and not long after it was 3-1 to the home side as Curry grabbed another goal for his hattrick. Sassco immediately pulled their finger out and soon pulled a goal back as Conlin nodded in from a free kick, the indominatable Conlin grabbed his hattrick and the equaliser with ten minutes left firing in a shot from a tight angle.
Both teams were now going for the winner and it was Sassco UK who grabbed the three points as a corner was whipped in and the ball flew into the net off Anthony Pearson’s face – he still has the ball mark on his face today.
Mark ‘Left Peg’ Neal starred for Times Inn.
East Durham Spartans are having a good first season and it showed as they put bottom side The Cove to the sword with a 3-1 victory.
Park View and Usworth shared the points as they fought out a 1-1 draw.
Hylton Colliery Juniors grabbed three points to keep alive their slim hopes of promotion as they won 2-1 at home to Shiney Row Country Park Inn.
Shiney Row Travellers Rest continued their good form as they ran out easy winners in a 5-1 win over Cambridge Hotel.
Star man Chris Bishop hit a consolation goal for the Hoteliers, but they had no answer to the style of the Travellers play as they won the game with goals from Dixon (2), Bridge, Sinclair and a penalty from man of the match Brett Rowntree.
The Arms City Coachworks didn’t let their off-field problems distract them as they look to cement third place and they continued their good form with a 5-1 thumping of The Saltgrass.
The Arms started the game well but as per usual chances went begging and against the run of play the Saltgrass took a surprise lead as Louis Thornton scored a screamer which left the keeper stranded.
The Arms introduced Baker for the second half and it didn’t take him long to assert his influence on the game as he curled in a sublime effort to haul his side level. A minute later the Arms won back the ball and after some short passing saw the ball land at Chris Bewick’s feet and he finished well from 12 yards to give his side a 2-1 lead.
This knocked the stuffing out of the Saltgrass and it was no surprise when the Arms made it 3-1 when Ryan Ascherl thumped in a header from a Peter Harding corner. Chris Bewick then took over as he struck twice more to claim another hattrick and a well deserved three points.
On Monday night the
Arms City Coachworks suffered a 4-2 defeat away to Shiney Row Country Park Inn. Richard Timm and star man Stephen Wright grabbed the consolation goals for the Arms.
Park View put up an outstanding display as they came away with a point after an enthralling 4-4 draw against Cambridge Hotel.
Star man Steve Saville grabbed a brace and was backed up with strikes from Simon Peacock and David Lilwall.
Colliery Tavern regained top spot albeit for a couple of days as they won 5-1 away to East Durham Spartans.
Goals from Anthony Stokell (2), Ben Ward, Michael Bulmer and Shaun McGregor saw the Tavern continue their charge for the title.
Blue House produced a stunning second half display as they defeated Colonel Prior 3-1 in the Wearmouth & Hylton Charity Cup Final at Meadow Park.
It was a cagey opening from both sides and Brian Carter nearly put the Blue House in front but he scuffed his shot after going on a mazy run. It the Prior who were playing the better football as Steve Richardson started to put his influence on the game, chances were very few to come by as both defences stood firm.
The breakthrough came midway through the first half as the Prior took a deserved lead, David Sanderson hooking the ball into the roof of the net after a Ross McLagan corner caused chaos in the Blue House defence. Blue House tried to get back into the game but were reduced to long range efforts which were going hopelessly wide as the Prior defence were holding with Marsh looking impressive.
The second half was a total change as Blue House were out the traps faster than a speeding bullet and got a deserved equaliser in bizarre fashion as Adey in the Prior goal made a hash of his clearance and Michael Pattinson pounced on the loose ball to gleefully stroke into the net much to the delight of the large following of Blue House supporters.
This spurred on Blue House and they set about the Prior like a pack of wild dogs and they took the lead 10 minutes later as slack marking allowed Alan Golightly to head home after a fine cross fom James Gilhespy. Prior were deflated and couldn’t muster a chance as Blue House took control of the game and they sealed victory as a long ball over the top was pounced on by Michael Pattison who produced an outrageous finish to send the crowd wild.
The Prior just couldn’t respond and Blue House held on to lift the trophy and they celebrated back at the pub with several Cherry Lambrinis and dozens of curry battered buns donated by sponsor Paul’s Golden Chippy.
On Wednesday night,
Blue House must have been suffering from a massive hangover from their cup final shenanigans as they were well beaten 4-1 by a resurgent Redhouse.
In the First Division
Park View put on an impressive display as they earned three points as they defeated East Durham Spartans 4-2.
Sassco UK produced a feeble display as they suffered a 5-2 hammering at home to Usworth FC.
It is getting very nervy at the top of the First Division and
Washington Cricket Club proved they have bottle as they overcame a very tricky game with Arms City Coachworks as they produced an emphatic performance with a 9-1 victory.
Goals from Gavin Pine, Phil Ingram, Liam Wailes, Steven Cuthbertson, David Fittes, Craig Ingram and a wonderful hattrick from the mercurial Costa Lorraine sent the Cricketers back to pole position.
A great game is anticipated on Bank Holiday Monday as both Aquatic Sports and league champions Jolly Potters do battle in the Alan Hood Memorial Trophy. The game is to be played at Meadow Park, home of Sunderland RCA with kick off at 10.30am.

Match Report for Week Ending 17th April 2010


The race for the first division title is hotting up and looks like it may go to the wire as both teams won their weekend games.
Washington Cricket Club held on to top spot as they eased to a 4-1 success at the expense of Times Inn. Windy conditions and a hard uneven pitch made life difficult for both teams as Washington began well with the wind on their backs causing problems for the visiting back four and it wasn’t long before they took the lead when Phil Ingram was put free inside the box to set up Gavin Pine to finish well.
The second goal soon followed when a mistake by the Times keeper allowed David Laidler to pounce and he finished with ease from close range.  Washington were in a rampant mood and soon made their superiority count when they hit a third goal as Gavin Pine was given plenty of time to strike the ball from distance to give the visiting keeper no chance. 
In the second half The Times came back into the game making it difficult for the home team and were eventually rewarded when they scored directly from a corner.  However normal service was resumed for the Cricketers when substitute David Fittes finished off a good move to put a more realistic view on the score line. 
Colliery Tavern remain in second spot as they won 6-1 at home against a spirited Cambridge Hotel.
Goals from Carl Chapman (2), Michael Bulmer (2), Darren Straughan and Gary Stokell keeps the Tavern’s title charge on track. Cambridge goal came from a spectacular strike from Christopher Bishop.  A special mention must go out to the Cambridge boss Colin Holmes and his side for their enthusiasm and commitment over the season despite at times unable to field their best side.
The Arms City Coachworks won again thanks to a 5-0 win over Park View, this keeps up the Arms hopes of clinching third place.
The Arms started well with some early pressure as they peppered the visitors goal but were thwarted by great saves by the keeper. With a change upfront Ernest Bewick was causing the visitors defence a lot of bother, then after 15 minutes the Arms broke the deadlock, great work down the left wing presented Peter Harding with a simple tap in for his fist goal for the club. After the goal the Arms were made to work hard and went into the break 1-0 up.
 The second half started with the Arms the stronger side but again early pressure was failing to pay off. Steve Herkes then settled the Arms down as he hit a 25 yard screamer to give his side a two goal lead. The View by this time were dejected as the Arms were asserting their authority on the game and it was soon 3-0 as Chris Bewick finished well from a Paul Bainbridge free kick. Two minutes later it was 4-0 as Gordon Pratt-Glendenning struck a left foot volley that left the keeper grasping thin air. Stephen Wright rounded off the scoring with a simple tap in.
Robert Woodward starred for Park View.
Usworth recorded a 2-1 victory at the expense of a depleted Sassco UK. Anthony Pearson replied for Sassco who finished the game with 9 men due to injuries and lack of substitutes.
The Cove look like they will end up with the wooden spoon as they suffered a heavy defeat at the hands of East Durham Spartans. The Cove simply had no answer to the relentless play of the Spartans as the latter ran out easy 8-1 winners.
The Saltgrass gained a welcome three points as they won 1-0 away at Shiney Row Country Park Inn. Tony Wilkinson was the Saltgrass hero hitting the winning goal despite being caught offside throughout the game about 25 times.
A six goal thriller was had between Shiney Row Travellers Rest and Hylton CW Juniors, nothing could separate the sides as they had to settle for a point a piece after an exciting 3-3 draw.
The Travellers raced into a 3-0 lead as goals from Hardwick, Dixon and Sinclair saw them well on top but Hylton pulled a goal back just before half time. The second half was a half to forget for the Travellers as they let slip a two goal lead and shoddy defending saw Hylton hit back with 2 goals to claim a well deserved point.
In the Premier Division Blue House bounced back from cup heartache as they won a seven goal thriller against Houghton Town B 4-3.
Blue House started the brightest and were piling on the pressure on the Houghton defence and took the lead on ten minutes when Luke Morrow lashed in a shot after a goalmouth scramble. The Blue then had a goal disallowed and this propelled the B team into action as they threw the spanner in the works by scoring twice in quick succession which surprised the home side. Blue House had a couple of chance's to draw level before the break but  the Houghton keeper kept them at bay until a strike from Keith Lonsdale brought the sides level going into half time.
 The second half saw the Blue House come out flying but it was Houghton who hit the first blow when the Blue House left gaps at the back and Houghton broke away and took the lead again. But the Blue House never say die sprit kicked in and soon equalised as Dean Machin broke clear to beat the keeper with ease.  Blue House were pressing for the win and were squandering chance after chance and it was left to star man Keith Lonsdaleto show them how to finish as he scored with an outrageous back heel to win the game for Colin Hopes men.
With the future of the Colonel Prior uncertain, they went into their game with Chesters BB with a patched up team and their efforts were in vain as they suffered 4-3 defeat.
The Prior found themselves two goals up thanks to strikes from the dangerous Dale Spence. However the turning point in the game was the penalty given to the Chesters from which they scored to get themselves back into the game. With the Chesters having the better share of the play it wasn’t long before they equalised thanks to another penalty, this knocked the stuffing out of the Prior and they then found themselves 3-2 down. Chesters looked to grab a clinching goal but the Prior had others ideas as they scored a dramatic equaliser thanks to Dale Spence who grabbed his hattrick. More drama was to follow as the Chesters snatched the winning goal in the last minute of the game.
Dawdon CW were on the receiving of a mauling from an impressive Jolly Potters. Goals from Jamie Marshall (3), Michael Wharton (2), Joe Walton (2), Luke Sanders, Michael McCabe, David Keithley, Martin Cullen and an own goal saw the Potters enjoy a 12-3 success.
Aquatic Sports look to have one eye on the cup finals as their league form deserted them as they suffered a 4-2 loss at Hylton CW who were full value for their win.
Scott Hailstone and Craig Watson grabbed consolation goals for the Sports, but they had no answer the play of the Colliers who won the game thanks to goals from Carl Price, Darren Snowball, Adam Drysdale and Graham Bunker.
Hendon FC and Redhouse grabbed a point apiece as they produced an enthralling 4-4 draw at Stadio de Stannington.
Hendon goals came from Kevin Burns (2) and star man Martin Jackson capped an all action display with 2 impressive goals.
More midweek games will now be played until the end of the season and there were several matches played on Monday night.
Shiney Row Travellers Rest have hit a bit of form of late and it continued as they demolished East Durham Spartans 7-1 in their First Division fixture. The Travellers were up for it from the off and were good value for their win as B Rowntree was the star of the show as he hit a stunning hattrick, he backed up in the scoring stakes by Powell, Sinclair, S Dixon and M Dixon. Spartans replied through James Ayre-Mackey.
Colliery Tavern regained top spot as they easily brushed aside third placed Arms City Coachworks 8-2.
Richard Timm hit 2 goals in vain for the Arms, but the Tavern are the leagues top goalscorers and they proved this as they hit the back of the net 8 times, goal machine Michael Bulmer led the way as he grabbed 4 goals, Darren Straughan bagged a brace, Gary Stokell and Carl Chapman got a goal apiece.
Sassco UK slumped to another defeat as they were beaten 7-1 away to Hylton CW Juniors at the Billy Hardy Centre. Mark McDermont grabbed Sassco’s consolation goal despite being reduced to ten men.
In the Premier Division Colonel Prior put out a strong side for their fixture with Blue House and they were rewarded with a point in an entertaining 2-2 draw.
Blue House started the game well with some  great football  and they nearly took the lead when Paul Carter hit the ball from 40 yards  and it sailed over the keepers head and went an inch past the post. Blue House kept the pressure on and were rewarded with a goal, Martin Hope played a 50 yard pass to Michael Patterson and he then took it round four defenders and placed it into the top corner of the net. It was nearly 2-0 but Paul Carter watched on in disbelief as his shot cannoned of the post. Colonel Prior took advantage of Blue House missed chances and equalised when a long ball fell to Ross Mclagan and put it in the net. The Prior had their tails up and were playing with confidence and it wasn’t long before they took the lead as Dale Spence latched onto a through ball to finish with ease.
The second half saw Blue House attacking strongly but they weren’t getting much joy in front of goal until Michael Patterson played the ball through to James Gilhespy who slid it under the keeper legs and into the net to bring the game back level 2-2. The same player should have had all 3 points for the Blue House when he broke through in the last minute but hit the side netting.
Washington Cricket Club failed to reach the final of the Alan Hood Memorial Trophy as they lost their semi final 6-2 against a rampant Jolly Potters. David Fittes hit both goals for the Cricketers.
On Wednesday night Hendon FC moved into second place in the Premier Division as they won 1-0 in a tight game with Colonel Prior. David Rush was the goalscoring hero for the East End side, they also missed a penalty as Martin Jackson scuffed his shot from 12 yards.
Houghton Town B earned a point as they held Chesters BB to a blistering 3-3 draw.
Blue House kept up their slim hopes of a title as they trounced a sorry Redhouse 6-0.
Dawdon CW sprang a major surprise as they beat a lacklustre Aquatic Sports 4-2 at Marley Pots.
In the First Division Washington Cricket Club warmed up for their title decider on Saturday by disposing of and East Durham Spartans 3-0.
Park View won a 5 goal thriller as they beat Cambridge Hotel 3-2.
All cup final line ups are now complete they are as follows:
Alan Hood Memorial Trophy Final
Aquatic Sports v Jolly Potters  (Mon 3rd May 2010. Kick off 10.30am)
Wearmouth & Hylton Charity Cup Final
Colonel Prior v Blue House  (Mon 26th April 2010. Kick off 6.30pm)
TWR Commercial League Challenge Cup Final
Aquatic Sports v Chesters BB  (Fri 7th May 2010. Kick off 6.30pm)
All cup finals will be played at Meadow Park, home of Sunderland RCA.
The league have accepted 4 new teams for the 2010/11 season they are FC Chesters, Thorney Close Inn, Silksworth Golden Fleece and Oddfellows Arms. Any teams interested in joining the league next season could you please contact League General Secretary Peter Maguire on 07545549830.

Match Report for week ending 10th April 2010

In the Premier Division, Hendon FC are the form team as they chalked up their fourth consecutive win as they trounced Hylton CW 6-1.

The rout was led by Martin Jackson as he hit 2 goals and further goals from Steven Clark, David Rush, Jason Gargett and the ageless Phil Meek seal an impressive win. Darren Snowball hit a late consolation for the Colliers.
 The win lifts Hendon FC to the dizzy heights of 3
rd place and left manager Marcus Turnbull beaming with pride, the Avram Grant lookalike said “I’m over the moon with form of the lads after an indifferent start to the season and I hope we can finish the season with a flourish. I can now go home and enjoy putting my feet up and devour a nice pattie lot”.

Jolly Potters strengthened their grip on the title as they eased to a 7-0 win against Hendon Grange Global Gym. The Potters have opened up a healthy lead at the top and only a serious loss of form can lose them the title.

Redhouse moved to second in the table as they won 4-3 in an enthralling encounter away to Colonel Prior.

Colonel Prior stormed into a 2-0 lead as they tore into Redhouse who just couldn’t live with the Prior’s attacking play. Redhouse did manage to salvage a crucial goal from an inept first half display as left back John Dixon drilled his shot into the bottom corner.  Just when Redhouse thought they were back in the game, Davy Taylor misjudged a ball over the top and ended up pulling back the forward as he raced into the box and they referee pointed to the spot. Up stepped Gary Adey to slot home the spot kick and restore his sides 2 goal lead.

 Stern words were said in a heated half time team talk in the Redhouse camp, they came out for the second half fired up and playing a new formation and were driven on by the outstanding Steven ‘Hurricane’ Anderson who blew Prior away with his display. Redhouse were creating and missing numerous chances but they soon got back into the game as Steven Anderson slotted past the keeper after great work fom both Huggins and Melia.    From then on it was all Redhouse as they made use of the extra man in midfield to pass their way through the Prior ranks. The equalizer however came from the penalty spot, Gareth Braziers overhead kick was handled by a Prior defender leaving the referee little option but to award the kick. Up stepped Anderson to smash home the spot kick for his second of the game and a deserved equaliser for his side.    At 3-3 the Prior looked a beaten team as Redhouse began to turn on the style and they capped off their magnificent display by grabbing the winning goal as Dale Huggins raced through to fire past the on rushing keeper and send the away fans into delirium.
Steven Richardson was star man for the Prior.

Chesters BB were also involved in an epic game as they edged a 3-2 victory against a hard done Houghton Town B.

It was the B-team that started the brighter and they raced into a 2-0 lead thanks to goals from Jackson and Magnus. The second half saw Chesters make changes to personnel and this seemed to work as they capped a memorable fight back to steal the points thanks to birthday boy Marc ‘Smiler’ Stephenson who hit 2 goals and a fine Anthony Yates strike.

In the First Division
East Durham Spartans impressive run continues as they produced a trojan like performance to beat a lacklustre Sassco Uk 4-0.
Spartans also grabbed another great point as they held Hylton CW Juniors to a 0-0 draw on Monday night.

Arms City Coachworks seem to be over their minor blip in form as they hammered The Cove 8-0.  Goals from Chris Bewick (2), Richard Timm (2), Steven Herkes, Gordon Pratt-Glendenning, Jake Baker and Simon Birch sealed a comfortable win for the Arms.

Arms City Coachworks also had a game on Monday night and grinded out a hard fought 2-1 win at home to Shiney Row Country Park Inn, goals from Chris Bewick and Richard Timm gave the Arms three valuable points in their quest for promotion.

Times Inn produced a gutsy display as they earned a smashing point holding a frustrated Hylton CW Juniors to a 0-0 draw.

Shiney Row Travellers Rest can put the blame on woeful finishing as they could only muster a 1-1 draw against a plucky Saltgrass. Ian Old grabbed the goal for Saltgrass, the Travellers replied through Rowntree.

Another goalless was produced as both
Cambridge Hotel and Shiney Row Country Park Inn cancelled each other out.

The battle for the First Division title is a two horse race as both the top two teams won.
Colliery Tavern are point behind the leaders as they increased their goal difference as they handed out a 6-0 beating to Park View.

Carl Chapman was the Tavern hero as he bagged a well taken hattrick and was backed up by strikes from David Dixon, Michael ‘Chip’ Bulmer and Anthony Stokell.

Washington Cricket Club regained top spot as they won their local derby 5-1 at the expense of Usworth FC.

Washington began well as their fluent football was creating a series of opportunities in the opening exchanges of the match.  Usworth’s route one long ball tactics were causing the Washington back four problems, then on 10 minutes indecision inside the Cricketers defence saw a long ball fall kindly inside the box to be prodded home to give Usworth an early lead.

Although stunned by the goal, Washington rallied and were still playing attractive football which again created several opportunities to find that elusive equaliser, one chance in particular coming back off the crossbar from a left footed drive by David Fittes. Usworth were competing well and were making life difficult for the league leaders and went into the break still leading 1-0.

Washington continued to press at the beginning of the second half and eventually got the equaliser when David Fittes flicked in a well flighted Anthony Dixon free kick.  The second goal was not long coming and it duly arrived from a corner which was headed back across goal for David Laidler to head home. Andy Ebdale got a quality third goal after some great one touch football and a cool finish put the game to bed.  Further goals by Costa Lorraine and an Anthony Dixon penalty capped a superb second half performance for the Cricketers.
The semi finals of the TWR Commercial League Challenge Cup were played on Monday night,
Chesters BB caused a major upset as they outfought and outplayed a toothless Jolly Potter at Thompson Park. Chesters ran out 2-0 winners as the Potters suffered more cup heartbreak.
In the other semi final,
Aquatic Sports marched into another final as they stormed to a 3-1 win against a game Blue House.
Blue House started the stronger side and they thought they had took the lead when Brian Carter smashed the ball home only for the linesman to rule the effort offside. Aquatic then got a bit of luck when they took the lead as their forward struck a weak shot and watched in amazement as he saw his effort trickle under the arms of the visiting keeper to give Dave Hoey’s men the lead.

Not long after the second half got under away, Aquatic got the crucial second goal when a short pass back was latched onto by the forward and slipped into the net and this gave the Blue House a mountain to climb. The Blue kept the pressure on and kept the Aquatic keeper busy but nothing would go in for the Blue House and it was good as over when Aquatic where awarded a penalty for a late tackle and the resulting penalty was tucked away to make it 3-0.

Credit must be given to the Blue as they  didn't let their heads drop and tried to get back into the tie and deservedly pulled a goal back as Tony Armstrong volleyed the ball through a packed box and into the left corner to make it 3-1. Aquatic held on to book their place in the final. Martin Hope was outstanding for Blue House.
Aquatic Sports will now meet Chesters BB in the final on Friday 7
th May 2010.

The League are now having to play midweek fixtures due to the shocking winter that was endured and there were numerous games played on Wednesday night.

In the Premier Division
Aquatic Sports can forget about winning the league as they suffered a 3-2 defeat at home to Houghton Town B. Goals from Andrew Steele, Dean Smith and Lee Southern ensured that Town came away with three vital points.

Aquatic hope to pick up some silverware in the 2 cup finals that they have reached.

Hylton CW have faded as the season ends and this showed in their play as they were given a footballing lesson by Jolly Potters who ran out 7-1 winners. The Potters now only need eight points from their remaining four games to claim the title.

In the First Division,
Washington Cricket Club kept hold of top spot as they were made to work hard for their 2-0 success at Cambridge Hotel. Goals from Philip Ingram and Anthony Dixon kept the Cricketers at the top of the summit who also had Liam Wailes as man of the match.

Colliery Tavern are keeping a tight grip on the tails of the leaders as they ended East Durham Spartans unbeaten run with a 5-0 win at Rolls Royce. Taverns goals came from Michael Bulmer (2), Anthony Stokell (2) and Darren Straughan.

Sassco Uk returned to form as they narrowly beat Times Inn 2-1.

Match Report for week ending 03rd April 2010

In the Premier Division,
Aquatic Sports title hopes went down the pan as they were crushed by a resurgent Hendon FC 4-1 at Marley Pots. Aquatic had all the best play in the first half and led to a fine strike from player manager David Hoey.

The second half was a different story as Hendon came out of the blocks as fast as Usain Bolt, they laid siege to the Aquatic goal and made the breakthrough as Keith Churchill struck and soon after it was Steven Clark who put the East End side in the lead. The rout was then completed by star man Lee ‘Pencil’ Owens who scored twice to round off a great day for Konch’s men.

Jolly Potters have one hand on the title thanks to a 6-0 trouncing of Hendon Grange Global Gym.

Michael McCabe found his scoring boots as he scored four times and was assist in the goalscoring stakes by David Keithley who scored a brace. Potters will now take some stopping although Blue House may have a say in title matters if they can win their games in hand.

Chesters BB gained 3 well earned points as they outgunned Dawdon CW 5-1.

Dawdon took a surprise lead through star man Craig Lloyd, but Chesters hit back with a fine solo effort from Andy Hall. Chesters settled into their stride and were soon ahead as Anthony Yates scored his first goal of the season from 30 yards out. Yates then added a second after a fine play from Kevin 'Twinkle Toes' Berry. It was 4-1 shortly before half time as Michael Chapman scored after beating four defenders before stroking the ball past the keeper.

Chesters management decided to make changes at half time, with the changes made the pace of the game dropped and after a period of sustained pressure Dan Callaghan scored to make the game safe for the Chesters.

In the First Division it looks like it will go to the wire as both top two sides won.
Colliery Tavern are now setting the pace as they won a tricky game against Sassco Uk 4-2 at Downhill.

Anthony Stokell and Carl Chapman had the Tavern 2-0 up before Scott Hembrough reduced the deficit from a first ever assist from Sangha.
The Tavern were bossing the second half and extended their lead as Michael Bulmer struck, Sassco remained positive and hit back as Michael Oliver went through and beat the keeper with ease to give his side a glimmer of hope. This hope was soon dashed as Michael Bulmer sealed the game with his 25
th goal of the season.

Washington Cricket Club remain hot on the heels of the leaders as they won 3-2 against a stubborn Shiney Row Country Park Inn.

The Cricketers were quickest out of the blocks in a game that was played on a very boggy pitch and after all the early pressure they took the lead as Anthony Dixon netted after great work from David Fittes. Park Inn couldn’t get into the game as they were reduced to chasing shadows and then on 20 minutes it was 2-0 as a corner was flicked on for Stephen Cuthbertson to slam into the net at the far post.

Park Inn were having the odd foray into the opposition half but to no effect as the Cricketers were in total command and they made their superiority count when on the stroke of half time it was 3-0, David Fittes danced his way through the defence and cleverly chipped the advancing keeper – it was a goal straight out of the Messi textbook.

The second half started with Country Park Inn being a different team, as the visitors sat back on their lead and this allowed Park Inn to reduce the deficit as their forward beat off several challenges then cooly slotted past the keeper. This gave Park Inn the momentum and they were causing the Washington back four problems. Then out of the blue, Washington had a great chance to kill the game off as they were given a penalty, nerves crept as the resulting spot kick was well saved.
 In the dying seconds of the game Country Park Inn got their second, when from a corner the ball was slotted in at the back post.
After a little loss of form,
Arms City Coachworks returned to winning ways as they were convincing 4-1 winners at Times Inn.

As usual the Arms struggled to get going and the Times had 3 early efforts none of which were on target. Then after 15 minutes a mix up in the Arms defence saw the Times striker run through and slot the ball past Robinson in the Arms goal. The rest of the half saw the Arms spurn a host of chances and went into the half time break a goal down.

Changes were made by the Arms hierarchy along with different tactics, this seemed to work as they grabbed a well deserved equaliser with manager Gordon Pratt-Glendenning stoking after a free kick from Peter Harding.  Arms had their tails up and were soon ahead thanks to a fine strike from Steve Herkes that ended up in the top corner leaving the keeper stranded.

It was soon 3-1 to the visitors as boss Pratt-Glendenning grabbed his second of the game and just before full time, Steve Wright scored the clinching goal – it was his fifteenth shot of the game.

Ryan Ascherl was man of the match for the Arms.

Cambridge Hotel recorded a fine win at Usworth FC as they triumphed 3-1. Star man Paul Stoker opened the scoring and he was backed up with goals from Craig McShane and Lee Stephenson.

Shiney Row Travellers Rest were worthy winners as The Cove succumbed to a 5-2 defeat. The Travellers stormed into a two goal lead but their lead was quickly vanished as the Cove hit back to equalise with goals from Brown and Hourigan.

The second half belonged to the Travellers as they enjoyed thelions share of possession and converted three more goals to seal the win. Travellers goals came from Sinclair (2), J Rowntree, B Rowntree and R Rowntree.

Saltgrass were just not at the races as an inept display saw them well beaten 4-0 at home to an under strength Hylton CW Juniors.

East Durham Spartans had a great weekend as on Saturday they battled to earn a precious point as they drew 2-2 away to Park View.
On the Bank Holiday Monday the Spartans put
Times Inn to the sword as they ran out 4-2 winners to move clear of the Cove who prop up the table.
Their was more action in midweek as
Hendon FC have found form at long last as they recorded a fine 5-3 win at Houghton Town B in the Premier Division. Goals from Jason Gargett (2), Graeme Thornton, Kyle Sumner and star man Martin ‘Action’ Jackson secured the points.

In the First Division
Washington Cricket Club regained the top spot as they beat a plucky Shiney Rows Travellers Rest 4-2. The Cricketers goals came from Anthony Dixon, David Laidler, Costa Lorraine and Phil Ingram.

Hylton CW Juniors enjoyed a 5-3 success at Park View.

Cambridge Hotel and Sassco Uk fought out an entertaining 2-2 draw. Goals from Gareth Stoker and Michael Pearson secured the point for Sassco.

East Durham Spartans continued their good form as they picked up a good point in a 3-3 draw against Usworth FC.

Jolly Potter avenged a previous cup defeat as they surged into the semi finals of the Alan Hood Memorial Trophy after a fine 2-0 win over Blue House. Their reward is a semi final clash with Washington Cricket Club.

Match Reports for week ending 27th March 2010

It was semi finals day in the Wearmouth and Hylton Aged People Trophy, Blue House upset the form book as they stormed into the final as they disposed of a full strength Jolly Potters 3-1 in fiercely contested match.

 Blue House started the strongest and had numerous chances to be in front but the Potters keeper kept the Blue House attack at bay with some top drawer saves. Moments later it was the Potters who delivered the first blow as they took the lead against the run of play, a cross was whipped in and the visitors keeper collided with a forward and the resulting ball was tapped into the net much to the delight of home supporters who were doing a conga up and down South Hylton bank.

Going a goal down seemed to inject some much needed urgency into the Blue House and they began to pile on the pressure and it wasn’t long before they got their deserved equaliser , the Potters defence were finally penetrated as Hope saw his shot saved but to his relief Brian Carter smashed home the rebound to leave the keeper stranded. The rest of the half belonged to the Potters who enjoyed long periods of sustained pressure, but unfortunately there was no end product.

 The second half started off at a whirlwind pace with both teams trying to both assert their influence on the game and to grab a goal that would prove vital. Potters had the best of the chances but the East End lads stood firm and repelled anything that was thrown at them. Blue House had an attack of their own and took the lead in spectacular fashion, they were awarded a free kick 30 yards from goal and up stepped Luke Morrow whose effort hit the underside of the crossbar and into the net.

The Potters now had to start all over again to get back into the game as they through everything but the kitchen sink at the opposition goal, Blue House as usual stood firm and broke away and hit their third goal to break the Potters hearts. Lewis Moan hit the decisive goal a he scored with a sweetly struck half volley which left the keeper begging for bread. Blue House held on and were relieved to hear the final whistle as they celebrated in reaching their first final.

Jordan Thompson was again star man for Blue House with a powerhouse midfield display. Special praise must go to manager Colin Hope for all his hard work this season and this win is the icing on the cake. 

In the other semi final, it was the
Colonel Prior who booked their place in the final as they edged out Redhouse 4-2 on penalties after the game was tied 2-2 after extra time.

The game was played in good spirits but conditions were difficult with the wind and hard pitch proving to be major obstacles for both sides to try and play a passing game. Prior took the lead thanks to Ross McLagan, although his effort did take a slight deflection and he is definitely claiming it. Chances were hard to come by as both teams cancelled each other out, then against the run of play Rehouse equalised as Dale Huggins pounced on a poor clearance to stroke the ball home.

 The second half was a very tight affair, more like a game of chess and it was the Prior who made the right move as they were awarded a penalty which was blasted home in style by Gary Adey. With seconds remaining, Redhouse were themselves awarded a hotly disputed penalty -  Lee Melia kept his nerve as he swept the ball home to send the game into extra time.

Both teams went for the jugular in search of the winning goal and Redhouse thought they had scored the decisive goal but to their dismay, it was disallowed. The game then went to a penalty shoot-out and it was Dave Sanderson who was the Prior hero as it was his deciding spot kick that sent his side into the final.

Steve Richardson was Prior star man and Steven Anderson starred for Redhouse.
The final will now be contested by Blue House and Colonel Prior on Monday 26
th April 2010.

In the First Division,
Washington Cricket Club dropped vital points in their title quest as they were held to a 2-2 draw by Hylton CW Juniors at a windswept Southern Area.

 An early sequence of corners from Washington were causing the Juniors problems but the early opportunities fell to the Juniors as the home side had their keeper to thank making one good save with his legs. Washington eventually got the early breakthrough when great play by Anthony Dixon put David Fittes through on the left, his precise left foot cross was met by Gavin Pine who finished with great aplomb. The Juniors came back well and equalised when a long ball was pulled back into the six yard box to be finished well as both sides went into the half time break on level terms.

The second half kicked off with Washington trying to play football against the increasing wind and they took the lead as David Fittes powered in a header from a well flighted corner. Once again the  Juniors came back well and had numerous occasions to equalise with their long throws wreaking havoc in the home team defence.  Eventually the pressure from the Juniors eventually paid dividends a ball was pumped into the box and was met by the forward  who headed high across the goal and into the far corner.

Hylton had a glorious chance at the death to clinch the win but they blew it as their forward could only manage to spoon the ball over the bar much to the relief of the Cricketers, who must now find their previous form if they are to have a say in the championship race.

Colliery Tavern strengthened their grip at the top as they went goal crazy at Thompson Park as they battered Times Inn 10-1.

Luke Page replied for Times Inn, but the Tavern were simply irresistible as Carl Chapman hit four goals and was backed up by further strikes from Michael Bulmer and Darren Straughan. However, it was the performance of Anthony Stokell that caught the eye as he hit four goals to cap a mesmerising display.

The Colliery Tavern have now scored over 100 goals this season.

Sassco UK got back to winning ways as they defeated a spirited The Cove 4-0. The wind was proving to be a thorn in both sides, but it was Sassco who drew first blood as Anthony Langan fired his side ahead. This settled Sassco down and they didn’t wait long to double their lead courtesy of Scott Hembrough.

After a half time rollicking, Sassco performed much better in the second half and were reward with further goals from Scott Hembrough and a free kick from David Gourlay.

Eslewhere in the First Division,
Shiney Row Travellers Rest shared the spoils with Park View as both teams played out a 1-1 draw.
The Travellers took the lead thanks to a well taken goal from Dean Sinclair and they were denied further goals as they were denied by fantastic saves from Steve Siffler in the View goal. The View then got their equaliser as Rob Robson drove home.

Steve Saville was man of the match for The View.

Arms City Coachworks great start to the season seems to have come to a halt as they were well beaten 3-0 by Cambridge Hotel which all but ended their title ambitions.

Craig McShane was the hero for the Hoteliers as he scored a well taken hattrick. Anthony Powell was star man for the Hoteliers and Dan Smith starred for the Arms.

Shiney Row Country Park Inn were convincing winners as they routed Usworth 5-0. Star man Keith Robinson led the way with a well taken brace, Andrew White also scored as did Wayne Froud who helped himself to two goals.

In the Premier Division,
Hendon FC got finally got back to winning ways as they defeated Dawdon CW 6-0 at Stannington Grove.

Star man David Rush started the goal fest as he notched twice, further goals from Jason Gargett, Steven Clark, Kevin Churchill and Lee ‘Luggio’ Welsh eased Hendon to a comprehensive victory. They celebrated the win by treating themselves to a crate of Irn Bru and a case of Pork Scratchings.

In the only other league game to be played,
Chesters BB earned a point with a hard fought 2-2 draw at home to Hylton CW. Strikes from Ian Redman and an own goal saw the Chesters grab a well earned draw.

Aquatic Sports are having a great season and it just keeps getting better as they progressed to the next round of the TWR Commercial League Challenge Cup by disposing of Houghton Town B 2-0 at Marley Pots.

Town had two early penalty appeals turned down, but it was Aquatic who had the edge as the took the lead as Lee Brennan swept home after a fine cross from Simon Pennock. It wasnt long before Aquatic put this tie to bed as they grabbed a second goal, Scott Hailstone scampered clear to slot the ball past the rooted keeper after some fine play in midfield.

Aquatic held on to ease into the next round.