Match Reports for Week Ending 20th February 2010

Arms City Coachworks charge for the league title hit the buffers as they suffered a very heavy 8-1 drubbing at the hands of Hylton CW Juniors.

Hylton marksman, David Ward, was the chief tormentor as he ran the Arms defence ragged all afternoon and also help himself to an astonishing 6 goal haul – all this under the watchful eye of England number 2 Franco Baldini!! Ricardo Cabezas pulled a goal back for the Arms to give his side a glimmer of hope, but further goals from Darryl Cullerton and Gavin Dorward saw the Colliers romp home to victory.

Colliery Tavern, disappointed at the previous weeks cup loss returned to league action in the quest of 3 valuable points as they too are in the title hunt. They heaped misery on their opponents, Shiney Row Travellers Rest as they came away with a hard fought 3-1 win. Travellers goal came from starman Bowman, whilst goals from Carl Chapman, Darren Straughan and Michael Bulmer saw the Tavern home. Anthony Stokell was star performer for Colliery Tavern.

League leaders
Washington Cricket Club won 3-0 in their encounter with the Saltgrass at Quarry View. With a changed team Washington started brightly and took an early lead on 5 minutes, when a through ball saw David Laidler pressurise the Saltgrass defender into slotting the ball past his own advancing keeper and into the unguarded net.

Washington were playing fluently and created another early chance when good football allowed an opportunity for Gavin Pine to be put clear inside the box, but his effort was saved well by the Saltgrass keeper.  Then David Laidler was put clear through on goal but could only drag his shot wide of the far post.

Washington were well on top and kept possession well, an effort from David Fittes had the Saltgrass keeper diving at full stretch turning a well hit shot round the post for a corner. 

The second half started where the first half finished with Washington well on top and they increased their lead when a free kick was whipped in and met by the head Jamie Haughey who scored his first goal for Washington.  He almost doubled his total when from a corner he rose well to head wide at the far post. 

 The Saltgrass to their credit kept working hard but just couldn’t stem the flow of Washington attacks and eventually fell further behind when a rasping shot from 35 yards from James Douglas was turned over the bar by the home keeper, from the resulting corner a scramble ensued when finally David Fittes stabbed the ball into the six yard box and it being eventually deflected in to the home net off a combination of two defenders.  This sealed the game and the points for the Cricketers. Andrew Forbes starred for the Saltgrass and Fittes for Cricketers.

Park View fielded their strongest team for the first time this season and it certainly benefitted them as they trounced the luckless Cove.

The View got off to a flying start as they took the lead after only 15 seconds with Simon Peacock tapping the ball home from starman Alex Yip. Things got even better for the View as it was soon 2-0 thanks to an effort from Mark Todd, the Cove responded immediately as they pulled a goal back courtesy of a cool finish from Gavin Snowdon.

The View’s Alex Yip was in unstoppable form as it was his run and fine executed pass which led to Ron Baker scoring his sides third. It was soon 4-1 as Dave Lilwall scored direct from a corner, again the Cove were not to be outdone and pulled another goal back through Andrew Brown to give his side renewed hope. This gave View a timely reminder that they could not rest on their laurels and scored another 2 goals before half time thanks to Alex Yip and Mark Todd who grabbed his second of the match.

The second half saw Park View relax a little and they began to play some more confident football which mainly led to shots being fired over the bar. The Cove defended a lot better in the second period but this reduced the amount of attacks on the View goal, although they did hit the post with one effort. The game was put to bed as further goals from Lilwall and Peacock gave the View a welcome 3 points. Lilwall was to be denied his hattrick as his effort was ruled out offside.

Elsewhere, the
Cambridge Hotel were beaten 2-1 at home to the ever improving Usworth.

In the League Challenge Cup,
Aquatic Sports booked their place in the next round as they ran riot in a 9-0 demolition job of Hylton CW at Marley Pots. Carl Old was the hero for Aquatic as he netted 5 goals and was joined in on the act by Scott Hailstone, Craig Watson, Paul Cromack and Billy Harrison who contributed with further goals. Barry Cook was Hylton’s star player.

Aquatic manager Dave ‘The Special One’ Hoey said it was a great team effort and praised all the lads for a tremendous performance.

In the Premier Division, a battle royal was had at South Hylton as
Jolly Potters scraped to a 2-1 win over fellow title challengers Blue House.

Blue House started off well and within the first couple of minutes Jordon Thompson had the first opportunity but his shot was easily saved by the Potters keeper. The Jolly Potter almost took the lead as a speculative shot beat the Blue House keeper only to see it come off the inside of the post roll along the line only to be cleared by the Blue House defence.

Blue House was playing some good two touch football and had a couple of long range efforts but they didn't really trouble the Potters keeper. Then against the run of play, the Potters took the lead as man of the match Michael Wharton scored with a thumping effort from 25 yards which left the visitors keeper begging for bread. Blue House had plenty of chances to draw level and they thought they got the breakthrough when a corner was knocked in and met by the head of Luke Morrow only to see it scrambled of the line by the Potters defence.

Blue House started the second half the much stronger side and Martin Hope had their best chance but he could only watch as his free kick just dipped over the bar. Colin Hope’s men were not to be thwarted as moments later they got their deserved equaliser as James Gilhespy rifled in a free kick which hit the back of the net via the post and left the keeper flatfooted.

The game had a bit of an edge as Blue House were well on top but couldn’t get the elusive goal their play deserved. With the game as tight as it was the next goal would be the winner, and it was the Potters who came up trumps as Paul Thompson stooped to knock in a free kick to send the home fans delirious. Hope had a great chance to level the game but screwed his shot well wide and the Potters hung on for a vital 3 points. Star performer for Blue House was Luke Morrow.

Chesters BB bounced back from their previous shocking defeat in style as they trounced hapless Dawdon CW 7-1. Michael Wilson grabbed a consolation goal for Dawdon but efforts from Ian Redman, Stephenson, Makin (2) and an excellent hattrick from man of the match Kevin Gordon saw the Chesters home.

Redhouse continued their decent run of form with a 4-0 win over a sorry Hendon FC.  Hendon had numerous chances of their own but found home keeper Carl Middlemiss in fine form. 
Redhouse then  took the lead with a goal which would have graced  any game, left back Dixon  received  a roll out from the keeper,  his  ball up the line found Neil Middlemiss  on the halfway line,  he played  a smart one two with Wooton before smashing an unstoppable left foot drive into  the  top corner. The goal resembled that of Brazil’s fourth goal in the 1970 World Cup Final.
  The second half saw Redhouse the much stronger side and soon doubled their lead as Craig Charlton pounced on a miskick from the Hendon keeper.  Neil Middlemiss then got his second of the game  after being  sent  through by Dave Taylor.  It was soon 4-0 when  of all people, left back John "the sock" Dixon found  himself one on one with the keeper after a sweeping move,  his initial shot was saved  but he eventually  somehow managed to scramble home  the rebound amid howls of  derision and laughter of the home  supporters.
  Ryan Abdul-McNaught  was man of the match for Redhouse and Gareth Hill was star man for Konch’s men.

Colonel Prior had dreams of lifting the Durham Minor Cup but these hopes were dashed as they lost 6-3 in their quarter final clash away to Gateshead Rutherford Reserves. The Prior travelled away with a depleted squad through various reasons, after starting the game well they were 1-0 down after a very dubious penalty was given against them, it was soon 2 -0 as a speculative effort from 25 yards sailed over the keeper and into the net. The Prior got a goal back just before half time from John Spence.

After a good team talk, the Prior came out flying and were having good possession and were bossing thegame. However, the loss of their influential midfielder seemed to knock them out of their stride as they soon found themselves 5-1 down conceding 3 soft goals. Goals from Dale Spence and Lee Norman for the Prior set up a frantic last 25 minutes, chance after chance went begging for the Prior in fact 20 to be precise. Gateshead soaked up all the pressure and finally killed the game off as they broke away to score their sixth goal and seal a place in the semi finals. Sanderson was man of the match for the Prior.

In summery this was a one sided game which we were guilty of giving some soft goals away, bad luck and missing a massive amount of chances.
anyway good game in good spirit from both teams
goals, j spence, d spence, l norman
mom, sanderson

Match Reports for Week Ending 13th February 2010

The Wearmouth and Hylton Aged People Trophy had reached the quarter final stages and first up was Blue House who stormed into the semi finals by crushing Hylton Colliery Juniors 5-2.

Blue House started like a house on fire and had all the early chances and should of been a couple of goals to the good, but it was midway through the first half when a long throw by Jordan Thompson was met by John Cairns whose looping header went straight into the net. It should have been 2-0 but Brian Carter spurned a great chance with only the keeper to beat, from the resulting miss, Hylton strode forward and equalised. Moments later Hylton won a penalty,the resulting spot kick was superbly saved by Cairns but the Hylton forward easily dispatched the rebound to send his side 2-1 up and an upset looked likely.

Blue House were given a stern talking to at the interval and this seemed to spur them on as they came out flying and got straight back into the game when Blue House won a free kick and up stepped James Gilhespy who struck it into the top corner for the equaliser. Moments later it was 3-2 to the East End side as Michael Potts thumped a header past the keeper.

Blue House were relentless in their play and it was soon 4 -2 as Martin Hope smashed home a penalty after Golightly was felled in the box. Hylton tried in vain to get back into the game but they just couldn’t seem to find a way past the well organised defence of Blue House, this was to be pivotal in Blue House getting their fifth goal when Martin Hope grabbed his 2
nd goal after a fine run and finish.

Redhouse also progressed to the semi finals with a hard fought 2-1 victory over local rivals Aquatic Sports.  A slow start from Redhouse was compounded when Aquatic took the lead through an Alan Palin strike after playing a smart 1-2 with Carl Old.  Redhouse finally woke up and started to create chances of their own and soon equalised when great play from Middlemiss and Charlton set away  Tommy Bell to twist and turn the defender inside out before firing a shot into the bottom corner. 
The second half was a more open affair, with Carl Middlemiss making a stunning save from an Aquatic header and Davy "shoulders" Taylor nearly put Redhouse in front when his stinging shot was tipped onto the post after a good move.  Pressure from Mr Braziers finally paid off when they took the lead in great fashion following a great move involving both Melia and Bell with the latter skipping past a few players before pulling the ball back for Craig Charlton to smash an unstoppable shot through a crowd of players and send Redhouse marching onto the semi finals.

Jolly Potters also made the semi finals after a more than convincing 9-0 victory over a below par Chesters BB. Michael Wharton led the way for the Potters with a four goal salvo, Joe Walton was also in fine goalscoring form as he weighed in with a hattrick. Further goals from Stephen Robson and David ‘Hotdog’ Keithley ensured a safe passage to the semi finals.

In the First Division, there were celebrations galore as
The Cove gained their first point of the season as they battled to a 2-2 with Times Inn.

After a turbulent few weeks for The Cove, there was a sign of changes of the times as 6 new players were given their debuts and this paid off from the start as they became a more settled side and this stood them in good stead for the rest of the match. Both teams missed vital penalties to win the match respectively, the Cove saw their penalty comfortably saved while the Times Inn skied their spot kick over the bar.

Norman Newton and Joe Walters grabbed the goals for Times Inn, the goalscoring hero for the Cove was Ray Thomas who grabbed a double. Could this be a change in fortunes for The Cove?

East Durham Spartans stay 2nd bottom albeit with a good few games in hand after they grabbed a share of the spoils after a hard fought 2-2 draw against Usworth. Spartans goals from James Ayre-Mackey and James Connor.

In the Shiney Row derby, it was
Travellers Rest who stole the title of ‘Top Dogs’ after they convincingly beat Country Park Inn 5-2. Goals from Anthony Mallin and Marc Evans were in vain for the Park Inn as they were thumped into submission by starman Dean Sinclair who helped himself to 4 goals and was backed up by a strike from John Rowntree to give the Travellers the 3 points.

In the Premier Division,
Houghton Town B eased their relegation fears with a battling 4-2 win over winless Hendon Grange Global Gym.

Town boss Lee Bogan tore up the teamsheet from the previous weeks weak surrender against Jolly Potter and started again changing formation and personnel in a back to basics move and the results were good as Town found a great team spirit and will to win to come from behind twice on an awful pitch and get a good win and great confidence boost before next weeks big county cup game.

Town started well and went at Grange from the off looking dangerous everytime they attacked and chances went begging. After the early pressure it was the Grange who surprisingly took the lead when the unfortunate Gary Sloan put through his own net after a defensive mix up.This got Town’s tails up and they went in search of the equaliser and it soon came as Phil Dorian dispatched a fine cross from Magnus. Grange threatened on a few occasions before the braek but found Nev Boardman in the Town goal in inspired form.

The Grange again took the lead on 50 minutes when slack defending let in Mick Greenshields who scored with ease. All credit to Town as they immediately showed their fighting qualities as they hit back to level the game with Dean Smith heading the equaliser after Pattinson had struck the bar with his shot. The goal disheartened the Gymboy’s as Andrew Steele fired Town into the lead with a sublime lob over the onrushing keeper. It was soon 4-2 and game over as Dean Smith headed his 2
nd goal and 18th of the season after a pinpoint cross from Liam Stokoe who had recently signed for Town from Hendon Grange.

Colonel Prior gained revenge for last weeks cup defeat to Hylton CW as they beat them this time round 2-1 to claim the 3 points at the Billy Hardy Centre.

It was Hylton who drew first blood as Barry Cook fired them ahead against the run of play, Prior hit back immediately as Steven Richardson equalised after put clean through and he finished with aplomb. Prior were well on top and it wasn’t long before they took the lead thanks to Adey who headed in from a McLagan corner.

The second half was a more tense affair as both teams battled for supremacy and it was the Prior who should have wrapped up the win at the death, Paul Richardson went one on one with the keep but could only watch in despair as he scuffed his shot wide.

In the Alan Hood Memorial Trophy, an eagerly anticipated quarter final was in store as both pacesetters from the First Division clashed at Rolls Royce. A great clash was had as
Washington Cricket Club ran out 1-0 victors against luckless Colliery Tavern.

The Cricketers were well out of the traps and on 5 minutes they scored what turned out to be the winning goal. A great run from David Laidler seemed to be ended by an intervention from Lee ‘Pek’ Pennock but he could only watch on in horror as he poked the ball with his size 15 boots on past his helpless keeper.

The Tavern retaliated and Phil Sykes had to be at his best, when a sweetly struck volley was tipped over the bar. The Tavern now had the ascendency, with the Washington defence coping well with their quick flowing attacks, being fortunate on one occasion when the ball rebounded off a post and was cleared.

 As the half continued, Washington got a foothold back in the game and should have increased their lead when Phil Ingram ran clear, only to see his shot scrape by the far post. Then great one touch football down the right saw David Laidler being put through, only to see his shot hit the side netting.

 The 2
nd half began with Phil Sykes again making fine saves, one in particular where the ball was destined for the top corner but was tipped around the post by the irrepressible keeper. The Tavern, having the majority of possession could not break down a resolute Washington defence where James Douglas and Kirk McCourt were having outstanding games.

 Despite their desperate attempts to equalise, The Tavern were always going to leave themselves open for the counter attack and when sub Costa Loraine went round the keeper he looked destined to score but unfortunately hit his shot over the bar. The final whistle went and it was the Cricketers who were celebrating reaching the semi finals.

The league have two teams flying the flag in the Durham Minor Cup, both Colonel Prior and Houghton Town B hoping to secure wins to progress to the semi finals. They must do it their travels with Colonel Prior visiting Gateshead Rutherford Reserves and Houghton visiting South Shields United.

Match Reports for Week Ending 6th February 2010

Aquatic Sports got their Premier Division title aspirations back on track with a hard earned 4-2 win against botoom side Hendon Grange Global Gym at Stadio della Marley. The game got underway with both teams matching each other for the first 20 minutes before Aquatic took the lead against the run of play, a quick break down the left hand side saw Watson cross the ball to the far post which was met by Carl Old who scored with a well taken shot. Aquatic looked to build on the lead but The Grange hit back with a cracking equaliser from the left winger whose shot went in off the underside of the crossbar making it 1-1. As half time approached the game was even stevens until Aquatic struck on 40 minutes, a corner was swung and was met by Paul ‘Bobby Moore’ Cromack who rose like a tin of John West salmon at the front post to glance in a header to give his side a 2-1 half time lead.   The second half got underway with The Grange well on top as their good passing and movement saw them create a several chances, but as per usual there was no end product. Aquatic then went further ahead thanks to star man Scott Hailstone who helped himself to 2 goals, the Grange to their credit kept going and were rewarded as they pulled a goal back late on in the game. This was a welcome win for David Hoey’s side after their disappointing defeat in The Durham Minor Cup.
Jolly Potters bounced back from their County Cup drubbing in style as the hit Houghton Town B for six. A morale boosting 6-2 victory was just what the doctor ordered to enhance their claims for second successive League title.
A closely fought encounter was had at Stannington Grove as
Hendon FC claimed the 3 points win a 2-1 victory over Chesters BB. Dan Makin hit Chester’s goal, but strikes from Jason Gargett and star man Steven Clark put a gleaming smile on Hendon boss Michael Lynch’s boat race (face).
Hylton CW produced a great display as they beat Colonel Prior 3-1 after extra time in the Alan Hood Memorial Trophy quarter finals. The Prior were able to start the same team that produced a great result in their last game, but a few players were struggling with injuries. The game started with both teams battling well and with 25 mins gone the Prior were reduced to 10 men, as John Spence was given his marching orders for apparently stamping on a player. Anyway the game continued but it was the Prior’s 10 men who dominated creating chance after chance but were unable to find the net as the game ended 0-0 and extra time loomed.
Hylton CW came into their own as their fitness and extra man was finally beginning to tell as the Prior wilted under immense pressure, Lee Cresswell opened the scoring for the Colliers amid claims for offside. The lead was then doubled as a speculative shot from outside the box was spilled and Adam Hopps was on hand to tap in the rebound. Prior immediately pulled a goal back as star man Dave Sanderson went on a surging run only to be scythed down in the box with the referee pointing to the spot. Adey stepped up to score the penalty, hitting it hard and low giving the keeper no chance. This spurred on the Prior and they created several chances but just could’nt put them away and this was to cost them as Hylton broke away to grab their 3
rd and clinching goal thanks to Chris McGowan.
Hylton CW reward for their win is a place in the semi finals against yet to be named opponents.
In the First Division, only 3 games managed to get the go ahead after passing late pitch inspections. The top 3 sides were not in action so it was a chance for others to close the ever widening points gap.
Usworth proved to be too strong for the Shiney Row Travellers Rest as they handed out a 4-0 beating. Brett Rowntree starred for the Travellers, but could do nothing to prevent his side losing as goals from Andrew Murray, Andrew Kirtley, Andy Makin and Karl Pascoe saw Usworth home. Stuart Terry shone for Usworth.
The Saltgrass, a team full of promise, are hoping that 2010 is going to be a good one for them. It couldn’t have started any better for them as they won 4-1 in their clash with Park View.
Mr Klipper’s men clearly dominated the first half creating numerous chances but failing to capitalise on them. However, they eventually took the lead as the View cleared a corner but it fell to James ‘Chippy’ Butler who hit a ferocious 30 yard shot into the bottom corner of the net.
The second half started with Park View working hard to get back into the game as Rob Russell began to lead the Saltgrass midfield a merry dance. With the View committing men forward, the Deptford side him them where it hurts with a swift counter attack of the highest calibre, in form striker John Hope lashed the ball into the net after a 5 man move. Park View immediately pulled a goal back to give themselves a glimmer of hope.
The game then got a little bit scrappy and changes were made within the Saltgrass camp, this paid off as a loose ball fell to Ian Old who lobbed the onrushing keeping from an angle that defied the laws of physics. It was soon game over as Ian Old calmly rounded the keeper to grab his second goal after good work out wide from Paul Wilkinson.
Cambridge Hotel came out on top in a 7 goal thriller as they defeated East Durham Spartans 5-2.
Goals from star man Phil Robinson and Glen Maddison were in vain for the Spartans as the Cambridge hit back to win the game thanks to goals from Anthony Powell, Craig McShane and a stupendous hattrick from Liam Richardson of which 2 were absolute screamers.
In the TWR League Challenge Cup,
Redhouse progressed to the next round after thumping Dawdon CW 5-1. Gary Headen grabbed a late consolation for Dawdon.