Match Reports for Week Ending 24 October 2009

The majority of the league were given a break from league action as they all strived to progress in the Wearmouth & Hylton Aged People Trophy.

There were goals galore at Herrington CW as
Houghton Town B were involved in a 10 goal thriller as they were given an almighty scare when needing extra time to win 6-4 against first division side Arms City Coachworks. Town got off to the worst start possible as they found themselves 0-2 down after only 15 minutes. Stu Archbold pulled a goal back, but slack defending allowed The Arms to restore their 2 goal advantage. With half time looming the home side needed a goal to give them some hope and it came from the impressive Kevin Fawcett.

The B-Team were now all over the first division opponents like a rash but couldn’t find a way past a stubborn defence. On 70 minutes Town were awarded a penalty and up stepped Ian Mordey to miss it. Was this going to be Towns day? The Arms answered that question for them as they raced away and scored to make it 2-4 and surely game over.

Dean Smith had other ideas as he scored to make it 3-4 and this resulted in Town bombarding the visitors goal. The pressure finally paid off as deep into stoppage time, Lee ‘Tapas’ Southern rose majestically to power home a header to take the game into extra time. The extra half hour was a bit too much for The Arms as they wilted and Towns superior fitness levels told as a cross cum shot from Fawcett put them into the lead and Andrew Steele put the game out of reach with a fine goal. A superb comeback from Mr Bogans side but credit must be given to The Arms for their part they played in an enthralling cup tie.

Chesters BB recorded their second successive win as they disposed of Hendon Grange Global Gym 4-0 to progress to round two.

With confidence returning The Grange simply had no answer to the home sides relentless play. Rob King led the way with a brace and was backed up with further goals from Daniel Callaghan and Ian ‘Prince Charles’ Redman who put in a stirring performance.

In another cracking tie,
Colliery Tavern were knocked out 4-2 away to a resurgent Hylton CW Juniors. Goals from David Ward, John Stokoe, Shaun Harrison and star man John ‘The Hitman Pan of Sausages’ Kerry put the Juniors through who now can get their minds back on the league.

Usworth also advanced at the expense of The Cove beating them 6-0. It didn’t take long for the home side to take the lead as Anthony Pearson scored after 2 minutes with a 20 yard cracker. Pearson grabbed his second soon after with a cool finish.

Despite chasing the game The Cove were still playing some good football, but there was nothing their keeper could do about the third goal as a Karl Pascoe 20 yard piledriver whistled its way into the top corner. The second half was all the home side as they hunted for further goals and it wasn’t long before it was 4-0 as Pascoe grabbed his second goal although most thought it was an own goal! Pearson then scored two quick goals to take his match tally to four and also took the man of the match award.

Goals from Paul ‘Tyson’ Stoker and Anthony Mullen were not enough to prevent
Cambridge Hotel crashing out 5-2 against a superior Colonel Prior. Star man Shaun Major led the way for the Prior with a well taken goal and was supported with goals from Lee Norman, John Spence, Dave Mitchell and Paul ‘Usain Bolt’ Richardson.

After last weeks mauling, the
Saltgrass vowed to go into their cup tie against Jolly Potters to enjoy it. Mr Klippers had been on player recruitment drive and made it clear to his side that they must start working for each other and not as individuals. Despite making a promising start, the home side found themselves 0-2 behind as the Potters exerted the class and superiority on the game. The Saltgrass then defended with their lives for the rest of the half just to try and stem the visitors attacks and to keep the score down.

The Deptford side started the second half trying everything they could muster to get back into the game, however the Potters as we all know are very stubborn and resilient as they soaked all of the pressure up and went on to hit their third goal and put the tie to bed. Saltgrass main objective now was to repel all attacks that came their way. All in all a much improved performance from Mr Klippers men and Andrew Forbes was his star man.

Hendon FC returned from their trip to see the Pope with renewed faith and optimism going into their trick tie away to Park View.

Simon Peacocks goal for the View was all in vain as the East End side pressed on and powered to a resounding 4-1 win.

Aquatic Sports also progressed to the next round as they defeated Country Park Inn 2-1 at the San Siro.

Both keepers were kept busy in the early stages of the game as both sides created chances, but it was Carl Old who put the premier side ahead as he tucked away a penalty. A few minutes later Old fired in his second as he turned the defender and hit an 18 yard shot into the back of the net. This sprang Park Inn into life as they grabbed themselves a lifeline when Tom Blakeman pulled a goal back just before half time.

The weather soon deteriorated in the second half as heavy rain fell from the skies and this was a cue for meaty challenges from both sides showing smashing commitment. Aquatics had chances to put the game out of reach and it was Scott Hailstone who was the guilty party as he spurned the chances. David Hoeys side held on for the win as Aquatics just go from strength to strength.

Sassco UK were still feeling the after effects of their Portugal tour as they crashed out of the cup 6-2 away to first division pacesetters Washington Cricket Club.

With torrential rain wreaking havoc for both sides it was the Cricketers who made the brighter start. However, against the run of play it was the visitors who took the lead against the run of play after the home keeper handled a back pass and from the resulting indirect free kick it was David Gourlay who crashed the ball into the net. Worse was to follow for Washington as they fell further behind as a through ball caught the home defence square and McDermont raced away to gleefully to tuck away his sides second.

In a state of shock and knocked on their heels WCC tried to get back into the game and found themselves 3-2 ahead after some pulsating football. Stephen Cuthbertson started the comeback as he tapped in from 6 yards. Then Phil Ingram raced through the home defence to slam home the equaliser. This shocked Sassco as they struggled to cope against their opponents high tempo game and they then fell behind as Cuthbertson picked up the ball in midfield and ran unopposed to cooly slot the ball past the hapless keeper.

Sassco then nearly equalised but their effort cannoned back into play off the iside of the post but no-one was there to put away the rebound. The jet lag was now starting to kick in as Mr Sanghas side lokked jaded and lethargic and the home side capitilised on this as Cuthbertson slid in at the back post to complete his hattrick and give his side a two goal cushion.

The game was now effectively over as the visitors minds were still in Portugal and two further goals from the tireless Anthony Dixon and Gavin Pine heaped further misery on them. This was a hard fought victory for the Cricketers who only seem to start playing when they fall behind.

There was only one
Premier League game played and it was at Downhill. It was billed as “Battle of the Giants” as 2nd played 3rd. Despite an entertaining game the spoils were shared as Redhouse battled to a 1-1 draw against Hylton CW.

In a rain affected game it was Hylton who started the stronger side as their inventive play and constant pressure paid off as Adam Hopps fired them ahead when his 20 yard shot zipped off the wet surface and flew into the net. The visitors were now on the rampage carving the home defence open at will and it took two “John Terry” like tackles from Gareth Brazier to prevent his side from going further behind. Liam Wooton missed Redhouse best chance of the first half as he was put clean through but was thwarted by a fine save from Holmes.

The second half was all Redhouse as first Charlton then Wooton had chances to equalise but were denied by inspired goalkeeping from Holmes. Despite all their pressure, Hylton were still dangerous on the counter attack with the evergreen Barry Cook leading the line superbly.

The game was getting more and more tense and this resulted in tackles flying in from all angles, then on 83 minutes Redhouse equalised when Lewy Ansher rose highest to bullet a header into the back of the net. Both teams then went all out in search for the winner but both defences stood firm and a draw was a fair result in the end. Redhouse star man was Gareth Brazier and for Hylton CW it was Mark Swindale.

Their was a nine goal thriller in the only
First Division clash at Fulwell Mill. It was the visitors, Shiney Row Travellers Rest who came away with the three points as they beat Times Inn 5-4. The two sides produced an enthralling game of football that went back and forth. Times Inn scorers were Daniel Defty, Morgan Newton and Michael Curry (2). The Travellers winning goals came from Paul Bridge (2), Adam Rowntree, John Tumelty and Dean Sinclair.

Match Reports for Week Ending 17 October 2009

Country Park Inn travelled to First Division leaders Washington Cricket Club in search of a much needed 3 points. Unfortunately their efforts went unrewarded as they succumbed to a 3-1 defeat.
The Cricketers got off to the worst start possible as their lethargic looking defence gave away a soft goal as a poor clearance was charged down and trickled into the net, Mark Evans claiming the goal. The league leaders were gradually getting themselves into the game with Phil Ingram continually giving the right back a torrid time, his efforts were in vain as he could not produce no end product.
The home side started the second half in determined fashion and went about looking for the equaliser and it came when Rob Barker rose like a tin of John West salmon to head the ball home past the advancing keeper. With their tails up the home side went 2-1 up after good work on the right allowed David Laidler to pick his spot from 8 yards.
CPI’s heads started to drop and wasn’t long before it was 3-1 after a cross from Pine was drilled home by a vigilant Phil Ingram.
This was a hard earned win for the Cricketers but they may come a cropper against good opposition if they continue their slow starts to games.
The Saltgrass were left battered and bruised as they were trounced 8-0 by Shiney Row Travellers Rest. The Deptford side were 3-0 down after 10 minutes as they were outfought and outbattled from the first whistle and had no answer to the visitors superiority.
Usworth put Park View to the sword as Costa Lorraine inspired them to a 5-1 victory. Lorraine opened the scoring mesmerising the defence before smashing an unstoppable shot past the hapless keeper. This did not deter Park View as they got back into the game with a well worked equaliser finished off by Robert Dagg. Just before half time Lorraine restored his sides lead with a cool finish assisted by a raking pass from Andrew Murray.
The second half was one way traffic as Usworth upped the tempo, substitute Lee Wilson made it 3-1 with a 6 yard tap in. Ross McGlen capped a great display scoring the 4
th after turning the defender and giving the keeper no chance with a powerful shot. Lee Williams grabbed the final goal to make 5-1 and cap a great day for his side.
The Cove put up a good fight and showed grit and determination against Arms City Coachworks but still got beat 6-0. It took a while for the Arms to get in their stride as they were continually frustrated by their opponents. But when they got their first goal they then found their rhythm and hit a further 5 goals to keep up their run of good form. The Arms scorers were Stephen Wright (2), Steve Shephard, Dan Armstrong, Chris Bewick and Richard Timm.

The Times Inn slipped to another defeat as they were comprehensively beaten 7-1 by Colliery Tavern, whose scorers were
Hylton CW Juniors look to be back to their best as they stuffed Cambridge Hotel 8-0. Goal machine Dave Ward continued his hot streak as he grabbed an excellent hattrick. Mr Wards goals were backed up by John Kerry (2), Kyle Northway, Adam Bewick and Andrew Kibble.
In the Premier Division,
Aquatic Sports good form continued as they bagged an excellent 3 points with a 6-3 win away to Houghton Town B. Despite losing 3 influential players to injuries during the game, the Sports were far too strong for the B-Team who just couldn’t put a plan together.
Carl Old was their hero as he bagged a hattrick and was ably assisted by Scott Hailstone, a Billy Harrison screamer and a dodgy cross from Simon Pennock which sailed into the net. Towns scorers were Anthony Harrison, Dean Smith and Ian Mordey. Aquatic player/manager David Hoey rolled back the years with a virtuoso performance.
Hylton CW had too much strength as they outmuscled Hendon Grange Global Gym 8-1. It only took the visitors 5 minutes to score their first goal through a David King header. The goals then came thick and fast as a rampant CW hit further goals from Anthony Wynn, Barry Cook and Lee Cresswell had them 4-0 up at half time.
The second half was much the same as the first as the “musclemen” were sapped of all their strength and it was no surprise when they conceded another four goals through Adam Hopps, Lee Cresswell, Anthony Wynn and Lee Cresswell. Hendon pulled a goal back late on but Hylton who were inspired by the ageless Barry Cook cantered to an easy victory.
Blue House lost their unbeaten league recorded as they were well beaten 4-1 at Chesters BB. The visitors were all over the place in the first half as they just could not get their game going. The home side eventually got the goal their played desereved as Kevin Gordon fired in an unstoppable 25 yard volley. The visitors started the second half brightly but were leaving gaps at the back and this was exploited by Kevin Gordon who grabbed his second with aplomb. Blue House immediately replied and hit back with a cracking goal from a Luke Morrow thunderbolt.
Chesters were not to be flustered by this little setback as they pressed and pressed and their pressure paid off as Gordon grabbed his hattrick. This knocked the stuffing out of the visitors and it was not long before Nathan Coomber fired in his sides fourth goal and give the Chesters 3 well earned points and give them new optimism for the rest of the season.
Redhouse continued their march to the summit as they outgunned a depleted Colonel Prior 4-1. It was the Prior who took the lead when David Sanderson rose the highest to plant a firm header beyond the reach of the home keeper. The rest of the half the visitors were very much under the cosh but their goal was rarely troubled.
A pep talk at half time seemed to galvanise Redhouse as they came out like a pack of hungry wolves looking for their prey to savage. And their pressure soon paid off when Liam Wooton went on a lung busting run from midfield and cooly slotted the ball past the keeper. 1-1. As the home side upped the tempo the Prior struggled to cope with the wave of attacks they had to endure and it was soon 2-1 after Gareth Brazier missed a sitter from a yard out only for Ansher to hit the ball goalwards and it hit a Prior defender on the arm. PENALTY. Up stepped Tommy Bell to blast home his spot kick. Redhouse laid siege to the visitors goal and Ansher was guilty of missing some unbelievable sitters as his side were looking to kill the game off. Liam Wooton grabbed is 2
nd of the game as he kept his composure to fire home to make it 3-1. It was soon 4 as RH were awarded another penalty after G-Force Brazier was upended in the box after a mazy run from right back. Tommy Bell again slammed home the resulting spot kick for his second of the game.
Defending champions
Jolly Potters game against Dawdon CW was postponed after the latter could not field a team.
Hendon FC had no game either as they were on a trip to the Vatican to see the Pope for a special prayer in order to re-ignite their title ambitions.

Matches for week ending 3rd October 2009

Framwellgate Moor Salutation were blown away by The Blue House in the Durham Minor Cup. It was a windy day for football but it didn't stop Blue House playing some excellent flowing football. They controlled the first half but just couldn't find the net until Luke Morrow stepped up to take a goal kick and screamed a 90 yard shot straight in to the top corner to make it 1-0 to Blue House. They should have had more goals but the difficult conditions made it hard so Blue House took a 1 goal advantage into the break. In the second half Framwellgate came out strongly and had chances to get back in the game but didn't take them. Blue House then pushed for a second and it came when Jordon Thompson played Martin Hope in to slot it past the keeper in to the corner with a fine finish to make it 2-0 and made it game over. Jordon Thompson with another great performance for Blue House earned his 6th Man Of The Match in 7 games.

Colonel Prior went into today’s game against Hendon Grange missing 5 players but still had a good side out, Hendon Grange came out of the traps and with the wind were totally dominating and making chances. They went 3 up and in total control with the prior struggling to get started, but the prior showed great character and got the ball down and started to play, unbelievably came back and led 4-3 at half time. They came out and played some great football to make chances and go on to win 7-3. Prior’s goals came from Lee Norman 3, Dale Spence 2, John Spence 1 and Shaun Major 1.

The game between
Hendon and Jolly Potter was played in very difficult conditions (really strong wind at Hill view) that unfortunately spoilt both teams from being able to play football. Hendon kicked off with the wind behind them and took the lead after about 20 mins though Keith Churchill firing into the bottom corner after the wind caused another scramble just inside the box. This was a good run out for the lads on the Hendon bench, even though some of them did not get on! (As they spent must of the time retrieving the ball from the bottom corner of the field almost every time it went above head height.) Hendon made it two nil 15 minutes later when Gary Innes  hit a 45/50 yard ‘CROSS’ which he swears blind was a shot and the wind took it into the top corner. Half time and as the teams changed ends so did the balance of the game as the wind was that strong. Jolly Potter made it 2-1 almost from the kick off with a tidy finish from Luke Sanders. The game continued exactly the same as the first half but with roles reversed, Potters scored a free kick from outside the box but this was ruled out for an infringement. Hendon did not learn from this and after another free kick was awarded just outside the box potters where Michael McCabe leveled, cleverly using the wind to their advantage with the set piece.  Hendon could have stolen the points late on but Gilby stormed into the box and blazed wide. A difficult game for all including the ref with the conditions, but a fair result for both sides.

Hylton Colliery took lead against Dawdon at half time. with goals from Darren Snowball(2) Adam Hopps(2) after Dawdon had took a 3 minute lead through Anthony Armstrong. Hylton came back strongly and Darren Snowball completed his hat trick and then Mark Cresswell and Adam Bate made the game safe for a 7 -2 victory. Lee Wood scored the second for Dawdon. Hylton star man was Lee Scott.

The Saltgrass defeated The Cove 3 – 0 in a game that was spoiled with heavy winds. It was agreed with the Referee to play 15 mins to see how it went and in that opening period the Saltgrass went 2 goals ahead with a powerful header from Paul Harrison and a nicely hammered shot by Mark Brook into the bottom corner. With that the 2 skippers were called over to the referee and it was decided to play the minimum of 35 minutes each way. Neat passing was the order of the day to combat the wind as every time the ball went skyward it ended up on the metro lines. John Hope completed the scoring with the third goal. Man of the match was Peter Wallace.

Sassco won the toss over Aquatic Sports in their TWR Commercial League Challenge Cup match and elected to play the first half against the wind. Reasoning was that they would try and chase the game in the second half if a goal down. However, it backfired. Two goals were conceded in the opening half from Mark Dickinson and Michael Conlon- where Aquatics spent the majority of it camped in Sassco's half. David Simpson made a number of saves to keep the score low.Second half saw Aquatics nearly add to their lead. It was Sassco's first foray into the opponent’s box which led to their opening goal with Michael Muers lashing in a free ball for the first of his 2 goals.Aquatics stormed back and took control of the game and never looked back with further goals from Carl Old 2, Alan Palin 1, and Scott Hailstone 1. The final scoreline was a comfortable 6-2 win.

The Arms & City Coachworks defeated Etherley Welfare 3 – 1 in the Durham Minor Cup with the game being played in terrible windy conditions and on a very uneven pitch. The Arms started the game kicking downhill in the first half with the wind blowing across the pitch. it was always going to anybody’s game with the poor weather, and went ahead after ten minutes when a pass from the keeper was controlled poorly by the right back and Richie Timm pounced to slot it in the bottom corner.Most of the play was in the Etherley half and 15mins later Stephen ‘Nelly’ Wright steamed in to the box and put it away for our second of the game. Half Time 0-2. The Arms started brightly again in the second half with a few shots on goal but couldn't finish Etherley off. Etherley took advantage of this, and a ball over the top saw Adrian Holden slot into the bottom corner. Shortly afterwards Ricardo Carbezas (the Arms Columbian import) dribbled into the box and put it past the keeper to complete the scoring to make it 3-1.

Washington Cricket Club visited a wind swept Silksworth Sports Centre today trying to continue their run of good form against Park View FC. Gale force winds battered the complex as the game ko, with pitch conditions and prevailing weather preventing both teams playing any football. Chances were limited in the 1st half with both teams cancelling each other attempts to create an opening infront of goal.  However a break on the right by Washington saw the ball fall kindly to Ross Allsopp who hit a 20 yard drive which the Park View keeper saved comfortably.  Just before H.T. Park View created an opportunity with a free kick on the left, with everybody expecting across the lad went for goal, but Phil Sykes reacted well turning the ball away for a corner.  H.T.0-0The 2nd half ko with the wind behind Washington and optimism high for more goal scoring opportunities. Eventually after  a couple of half chances Washington got the breakthough, good play down the left led to across by Phil Ingram being gratefully smashed home by the impressive Ross Allsopp. Washington improved their work rate and were rewarded with a 2nd goal shortly after.  Ross Allsopp received the ball on the half way line, running at the home defence, they backed away allowing him into the box where he deservedly won a penalty after a late lunge by the defender.  Dan Clark had no hesitation in accepting the chance to make the score 2-0 with a confident finish from the spot. Washington began playing their best football of the game without creating many chances, often the moves breaking down in the final third.  However Stephen Cuthbertson did hit the outside of the post, cutting in from the right and hitting a left foot shot that beat the keeper but not the post. Park View battled well for most of the game without causing any major concerns to the Washington back four, the only opportunity of note in the 2nd half being an attack down the right, the ball breaking inside the box to the forward, but his weak shot was well saved by Phil Sykes.  F.T. 0-2. 

Shiney Row Travellers Rest
came up against a determined Sunderland Times Inn and were defeated 2 -1. Goals from Michael Curry and Man of the Match Neil McNulty were enough to earn the points for Times Inn, with John Tumelty scoring for the Travellers Rest.

Country Park Inn shared the points with The Colliery Tavern in a 1 – 1 draw. Man of the match Carl Chapman scoring the goal for the Tavern.
At this stage of the Durham Minor Cup competition the league has a further 4 clubs through to the next round. More clubs within the league are due to enter in the later stages.