Matches for week ending 19th September 2009

Blue House thumps Hylton Colliery Juniors 6-2 in the cup.
Blue House took control from the off with John Cairns with a well taken goal to make it 1-0 then not long after John Cairns made it 2-0 with another lovley effort then Alan Golightly smashed in the 3rd to give Blue House control but just befor half time Colliery got a soft penatly and put it past the keeper to make it 3-1 at the break.
Second half Colliery came out flying and got back in the game straight away when there got a second game on.
Then Blue House got there head out of the clouds and went to finish game off Blue House got a penatly and there was only one man to take it  John Cairns stepped up and put it past the kepper to confirm a superb hatrick Brain Carter made it 5 with a lovley goal and Michael Potts made it 6 with a great low shot past the kepper with is left foot final score Blue House FC 6-2 Hylton Colliery Juniors.
Jordon Thompson also got his 5 Man of The Match in 6 games with another superb performance.

Prior v Times Inn
the prior turned up for this game in boyant mood as they had the returning j spence and s richardson back from suspension and were only missing the injured sanderson, cuddihy, adey, p richardson from the squad. the prior dominated from the first whistle while playing good football also took most there chances.
game finished 12-0. j spence 2, d spence 2, L norman 2, r mcclagan 3, s major, c rowntree, l marsh 1 each

WELCOME WIN SEND TOWN THROUGH TO NEXT ROUND SUPER SUB DORIAN CLINCHES TIE!! Country park inn f.c. 0-1 HOUGHTON TOWN 'B' F.C. This tie had been eagerly awaited by some but wasnt quite worth the build up some gave it but the win was more than welcome for Town and a much improved performance which they shouldve won by a bigger margain will boost confidence for the coming weeks!! Town management duo Bogan & Ward had their strongest squad of the season to choose from yet were still missing regular keeper Nev Boardman (aniversary celebrations?) aswell as David Jackson (honeymoon), Chris Day (injured), Mark Pemberton & Ian Pattinson(hols)Andy Stanton & Keith Vasey (work). Changes had to made following last weeks disgusting show at Redhouse so Town reverted back to 3-5-2 with Kev Agnew returning to the back 3 alongside Robinson & Carr, Hope, Lax & Harrison kept their places in midfeild and were joined by club captain Lee Southern who pushed up from the back to add some steel, Gary Sloan started his first game of the season after suspension and their was a new front two of Andrew Steele and big summer signing Ian Mordey who started for the first time, new signing Stuart Archbold started on the bench. Gav Lafferty, Jimmy Oliver, Rex Tranter & Paul Lamb all missed out. The game started with Town having a lot of possesion, Harrison, Sloane and Southern linking up well but the first chance of the game went to CPI as they got in down the left but the cross was well defended, Town went upfeild and a good passing move saw Ian Mordey get in a good effort from a tight angle that was well held, further long range efforts from Sloane, Southern and then Harrison failed to test the keeper before the much improved Kyle Lax had a great effort that dipped just too late after cutting in from the left!! Both wing-backs for Town put in great shifts with Hope on the right looking as fit as he has done in a while!! At the other end Lee Watt who also came in and had a great game in goal tipped an awkward inswinging corner over the bar, the Town defence tho was standing strong and looked comfortable as they did throughout in fairness!! On the halfhour Steele was caught from behind by the CPI captain in what was a badly timed tackle, he wasnt spoken to, Steele went off for treatment and after coming back on was involved in tackle with the same chap in what i would say was a strikers block tackle, unbelievably Steele was very harshly booked!! Inconsistancy strikes again. Town were sloppy for the last fifteen of the first half hardly completing two passes but the effort never dwindled and the back three well backed up by Southern and Watt in goal commanding his area defended well. The second half started with Town looking eager but whilst enjoying good possesion the final ball was often the wrong choice much to the frustration of strikers Steele & Mordey, after 55 mins new signing Stuart Archbold came on for his debut and replaced Sloane, he was quickly followed by Phil Dorian who clearly came on looking to prove a point, within a minute of his arrival Archbold had linked up well with Harrison and went thru on the keeper only to be denied a dream start by the post, Harrison himself was denied by a good save minutes later, Town were on top now and made the last sub introducing Dean Smith upfront for the tireing Mordey, CPI were still dangerous on the break but couldnt find a way thru, they had a few chances from set pieces but with the height of Archbold in there now to support Carr, Robinson and Southern getting anything in the air was a non-starter, the deadlock was finally broken when Lax played in Dorian who looked offside, he wasnt waiting about and produced a great finish into the corner as the CPI defence vented their anger, in fairness they had got lucky on more than one occasion with offsides as while the centre halves were getting out both full backs werent, there was a reaction from CPI but they were also arguing too much and Town looked to take advantage as Dorian again went close as did Archbold and Lax but they just couldnt find the killer second. CPI had further chances from free-kicks but all were defended well and the last chance of the game fell to the left winger who very kindly back-passed it back to Watt in goal.

Washington CCFC 6 - 2 Sassco FC 
 On another sunny glorious day, more suited to cricket than football, Washington entertained Sassco FC in a first division clash at Southern Area. 
Washington started well without looking dangerous, the final ball into the box often disappointing and letting down their initial fluent approach play.  Then the first good quality ball into the box saw a great side footed volley by Phil Ingram come back off the underside of the bar and into the path of David Laidler to side foot home, keeping up his golden touch in front of goal.  Washington took control of the game now and the second goal duly arrived, again a good ball in from the right saw Phil Ingram repeat his side footed volley this time bursting into the back of the net.  Washington seemed to take their foot off the pedal and almost allowed Sassco to get back into the game with a couple of opportunities which their forwards couldn't finish H.T. 2-0. 
Washington upped the tempo in the second half and were rewarded when Phil Ingram got his second goal of the game, sliding the ball home to make it 3-0.  The game began to be stretched and Washington broke away with Anthony Dixon running through, his shot being parried into the path of Phil Ingram, who rolled the ball into an empty net and complete his hat trick.
Sassco stemmed the flow of Washington attacks when a good through ball set up their forward to finish confidently high into the net.  Washington retaliated and got the initiative back, again Phil Ingram receiving a short corner, beating a player and curling the ball into the far top corner for his forth goal of the match.  Washington after making substitutions still began playing their easy flowing football and were rewarded with the best goal of the game.  From one end of the pitch to the other their one touch football was finished off when Phil Ingram crossed from the left for Stuart Burns to find the net from six yards.
In the dying minutes of the game after Washington had missed numerous chances, Sassco got another consolation goal.  Their forward ran into the box and was fouled to gain a penalty which was easily put away.  F.T. 6-2.  Scorers Washington D. Laidler, P. Ingram 4, S. Burns.
Colliery Tavern shocked Redhouse as they won through 5-3 on penalties after a action packed 4-4 draw. Tavern started like a house on fire and were well worth a 2-0 halftime lead. However Redhouse came storming back second half and goals from Wooton and Carter drew them level, however they were unable to find the winner,
Redhouse then went ahead in extra time through Charlton but were soon pegged back with a goal from Stokell. Wooton then thought he had won it for Redhouse when he rose to power home a header, only for Chapman to send the game to penalites with the very last kick. Gareth Brazier was then shown a red card after the final whistle ruling him out of the shootout. Croft and Carter had efforts saved by Colliery Keeper Robbo to send the first division team through after what had been a end to end well fought game between two teams who played it in a great spirit this despite the referee somehow having his cards out every 5 minutes.

Matches for week ending 12th September 2009

Aquatic Sports bounced back from last weeks horror show to defeat Chesters 5-4 in a thrilling game. Aquatic were determined to put on a display and it showed as right from the off they were working all over the pitch and going into every tackle with gusto. However after taking the lead through Critter Conlon, they inexplicably switched off and Chesters came roaring back, a few quick goals later and the referee was blowing for halftime with Chesters amazingly in the lead 4-1. New Aquatic Manager Hoey read his team the riot act and halftime and it clearly sparked them. Second half was more of the same with chances at both ends, however Cromack, and Watson(2) levelled the scores, then with 6 minutes left on the clock Watson went through to round the keeper and complete his hat trick and give Aquatic the win.

Blue House kept up their impressive start to the season with a hard fought 3-1 victory over Hylton CW. Dean Machin, Ged Huntley and Alan Golightly hit the goals that sealed the points with Jordan Thompson again man of the match for an incredible fourth game in a row!

Colonel Prior beat Dawdon 4-1 in a routine victory, two a piece from Cuddhy and Major did the damage as Prior turned in a much improved performance and will hope to be back to full strength in the coming weeks.

Houghton B continued their inconsistent start to the season with, literally, "a game of two halves" against a strong organised Jolly Potter outfit.

The match started as a high tempo affair with both teams choosing good organisation and a strong work ethic over a more cavalier attacking approach to the game.  It was however, The Jolly Potter who showed more attacking intent, trying to get the ball up quickly to the feet of the two pacey front men who looked to cause Houghton problems from the start by linking up with quick one-two's - the home team preferring to feed their forwards the ball directly into the channels to run onto.
In a closely matched contest it was Houghton who took the lead through Alan Carr, the experienced defender powering home a bullet header from ten yards as the home teams first corner was swung in!

Pretty soon after taking the lead though, Town switched off allowing The Potter forward in behind the defence only for Kevin Agnew to make a very decent last ditch tackle which unfortunately the ref deemed illegal, pointing to the spot in the process literally adding insult to injury as Agnew picked up a knock in the challenge which he never fully recovered from. The Potter's nominated player stepped up and dispatched an excellent penalty, leaving Town keeper Boardman with no chance.
After a well fought evenly balanced first half, no-one could have predicted the outcome of the second period.

Town simply failed to come out after half-time and The Potter raced out of the blocks to take a 2-1 lead within minutes. This appeared to change the game as Town's mental frailties were left gruesomely exposed.. There was a distinct lack of character on display from Town and the Jolly Potter seemed to sense this. The confidence of the away team grew and grew as massive holes started opening up in Town's midfield and defence as the game became stretched and Town went looking for an equaliser.

The game as a contest was now over, The Potter hit a fourth and as Town got within two goals twice (both very good Phil Dorian efforts) they each time allowed the Potter to restore the 3 goal advantage immediately afterwards.

On this evidence, the Jolly Potter can look forward with a great sense of optimism where-as if this sort of indifferent form continues its going to B a long hard season indeed for Town.

Redhouse put Hendon Grange to the sword 11-3. It was chances galore at Ryhope Rec as time and time again Hendons decision to play a very highline backfired with Redhouse simply able to play a one two on the halfway line to send players clear on goal, however some shocking finishing in the first 10 minutes kept the scores level.

The deadlock was broke however when Lewis Ansher went through and kept his cool to fire under the oncoming keeper, this was the signal for the floodgates to open and four more goals from Craig Charlton (2), Tommy Bell and Liam Wooton all near identical one on ones gave Redhouse a commanding 5-0 lead. Hendon did manage to pull one back on the stroke of halftime when the ball looked to have gone way out of play for a goal kick, this at least gave Redhouses Kyle Robinson a chance to let everyone know he was actually on the pitch as he high pitched squals of indignation were brushed off by the ref.

Redhouse made changes at halftime with the abysmal Robinson making way for Iggy Askew and Kelsey making way for Gareth Croft. The changes seemed to throw Redhouse and Hendon quickly had pulled a goal back. However it again sprang Redhouse into life, Charlton went clean through to complete his hat trick with a neat chip then Captain Sean Sheepy Hounslow was played in by Dixon, he kept his cool to curl a lovely shot into the top corner. Again Hendon managed to pull a goal back, an Eduardo-esque fall in the box was staggeringly given as a penalty which was clinically put away.

Redhouse again upped their game, winger Tommy Bell scored twice in as many minutes for complete his hatrick, then Wooton smashed home from outside the area to make it 10. Gareth Brazier then completed the scoring, dinking the ball past the keeper after good build up from Bell and Charlton sent him clear.

Matches for week ending 5th September 2009

Champions Jolly Potter continued their impressive start to the defence of their title by hitting Aquatic Sports for 15 without reply in the Premier League.  A classy performance of slick passing and movement  saw goals from Mick McCabe 5,  Man of the Match Mick Wharton 4, Joe Walton 4 and singles from Sanders and Lax  leave Aquatic shell shocked and fired warning to the league that once again Potters mean business.
The Hendon derby proved a one sided affair as Hendon FC overcame Hendon Grange 9-1.  Goals from Wrightson 4, Jackson, Gargett, Welsh (2)  and  a strike from Man of the Match John Bewick did the damage. Ed Wood replied for Grange.
Colonel Prior struggled for a team, however that was no concern to visitors Hylton Colliery who came away with a 5-0 victory. Hylton were ruthless in front of goal, albeit against a disorganized Prior, however they dominated from start to finish, goalscorers were Hopps, Snowball, Loughlin and both the Cresswell sisters were all on target.
Redhouse started their league campaign with a hard fought 3-1 victory at home to Dawdon FC.  Redhouse controlled the game for large parts but were unable to make their pressure tell, and it looked like they would end up paying when  a Dawdon free kick from near the halfway line avoided everyone before somehow finding its way into the back of the net.  Redhouse did not pull level till 15 minutes from  time  when Liam Wootons shot took a deflection and looped into the net. Wooton then put Redhouse ahead minutes later in again somewhat fortuitous circumstances,  Tommy Bells freekick was met by  Gareth Brazier who’s header struck Wooton in the face before going into the net. Craig Charlton then wrapped up the points moments later after being sent clear, with a cool finish. Man of the match was Gareth Brazier and Ryan Mcnaught. Redhouse will be looking to improve in coming weeks.
The First division saw two games,  Washington CC defeated Travellers Rest 3-1, Dixon and Laidler (2) on target,  whilst Saltgrass and Colliery Tavern played out an entertaining 2-2 draw.
In the county cup preliminary rounds its was an all WCFL affair  as Sassco hosted premier league Houghton Town. Town went into this game in confident mood after their impressive win the week before. A couple of changes were enforced with Hope coming in for Harrison and Oliver replacing Dorian who had apparently forgotten where he left his car. Robinson kept the captaincy and at the toss changed ends to play against a strong wind in the first half.

Town were wary of what happened last season when they were knocked out of all cups by lower league opposition and this was reiterated by Town bosses Bogan and Ward before kick off. Town kicked off and started with a 4-4-2 formation and both wide men Robinson and Jackson seeing plenty of the ball, Stanton was imposing himself in the middle with Hope trying to play the ball about and make the ball do the work with the strong wind. Early chances were falling to Houghton with crosses coming in from the right and Oliver trying to get on the end of them and make a nuisance of himself along the Sassco back line. The opening goal came from a long throw from hope on the right the keeper came and made a bit of a hash of it, he collected it in the end and tried a quick throw out this was intercepted by town who put a deep cross in and Robinson rose above the Sassco keeper to head home.

Town should have pushed on from there but seemed to just take it for granted they would win and were playing well within themselves going through the motions. Sassco didnt let their heads drop and pushed forward with there big forward making his presence felt. The next couple of chances fell to Sassco first was a break from the Sassco left, there player was through on the angle and hit a powerful shot from about 8 yards which was well saved by Boardman. A couple of minutes later Southern went down injured in the middle of the park his man ran free and hit a tame shot which was parried by Boardman who probably should have held the shot, this was cleared by the Town defence who put the ball out so Southern could receive treatment. Southern came back on but only for a couple of minutes and had to be replaced by Day who went in at left back and Carr moved to Centre Half. Houghton had chances through the half to extend their lead but a mixture of poor finishing and poor pass selection led to half time with only a 1 goal lead.

The second half started pretty much how the first ended with Sassco showing plenty of effort and Houghton doing just enough. Smith upfront for Town was lively but he really needs to start hitting the target with his shots and looking up as often he had good options but he tends to just shoot on site and mostly shoots over the bar, If he can improve his shooting he will get a hatful this season. The longer the half went on and the longer it stayed at 1-0 Sassco got stronger and grew in confidence. The Town defence were solid and with Boardman sweeping up behind they didnt look in to much danger but the threat was growing and mid way through the half the Sassco forward jinked his way across the box and managed to get a shot away which was saved by Boardman and went for a corner. The big Sassco forward was making a nuisance of himself again and the ball broke to him about 12 yards out his shot went across goal and into the top corner, 1-1 and to be Fair Sassco deserved their goal. The game was scrappy now and very even Smith had a great chance for Town when he came in from the left and hit a great shot which was very well saved by the Sassco keeper who was having a much better second half. Sassco then broke through and hit a shot across goal that was just finger tipped wide by Boardman.

A couple of changes had been made by farm Oliver was replaced by Steele and Day who was a sub was replaced by Vasey due to injury. The game looked to be going to extra time when Hope broke through the middle beat a man and put his shot into the bottom corner, a great finish by Hope who had a good game throughout. Town seemed to finally step up a gear as it looked like they were not going to let this lead slip. Sassco had a couple of breaks but their final ball was not accurate enough and Boardman managed to intercept on the edge of his box. The final goal came from a big kick from Boardman which went to Steel he controlled played a 1-2 and hit a great finish.

3-1 flattered Town a little who could and should have put this game to bed early, Sassco had a few chances and a little better finishing could have led to a different game that said Town also had chances and need to learn to work the keeper and not always shoot on site

City Arms Coachworks also had a cracking County Cup win.  Jake Baker was the star turn as his 6 goals helped his side on route to a 9-2 victory over Darlington Central Boro.  It was a tight first half asCoachworks started slow, however their superiority told in the end as Bakers strikes along with goals from Timm, Wright and Chris Slime ball Ord put a gloss on the score line.

Matches for week ending 29th August 2009

Town bosses Bogan and Ward rang the changes after last weeks dismal show and made six changes to the starting line up and went back to a 442 formation, Only keeper Boardman, Lee Southern, David Jackson, Tony Harrison & Dean Smith survived the cull, Capatain Kyle Lax wouldve stopped in too but an ankle injury kept him out, Mark Robinson came in and took the captaincy and he was joined by Allan Carr, Kevin Agnew, Mark Pemberton, Phil Dorian and new signing Andrew Stanton!!
Houghton started as if they meant business and were ahead inside 2 mins when Pemberton fed Dorian on the right and great skills by him set up Dean Smith who took a touch and rifled home his first goal of the season to give Town the start they wanted to the delight of all concerned!!
That settled Houghton right down and from then on they had the better of the first half with Harrison again on fine form in the middle of the park supported well by Robinson and the impressive Stanton who won everything, exactlty what Town missed last week! up front Smith and Dorians movement was excellent and pulled Hyltons back men all over the place while the re-introduction of Agnew, Carr and Pemberton at the back alongside Southern gave them a solid look.
Houghton had further chances from Smith and a Carr header while Dorian wrongly had a goal disallowed for offside when the number 6 for Hylton clearly played him on, it wasnt all Houghton tho and Hylton threatened from corners and set-pieces and the ever-green Barry Cook was always a threat!!
The second half started much the same with Houghton enjoying good possesion and couldve been ahead in with first attack when Jackson and Harrison linked to put Dorian thru but one on one with the keeper and the chance to slide in Robinson for a tap in he fluffed his lines, Houghton had a few more opportunities and Hylton were coming more into the game, a second goal was needed and on the hour it arrived, a superbly flighted ball over the top by Pemberton put Smith thru in the right channel and as he approached the box he looked up and chipped the ball over the top of the advancing keeper with the outside of his left foot for an outstanding goal!! The game slowed right down then and Houghton looked to be cruising and they introduced Hope, Oliver and Lafferty for Stanton, Dorian and Smith but in the 80th min Hylton pulled a goal back when slack defending let the Hylton man in to get a shot away that only proved a consolation.
  Blue House continued their impressive start beating Dawdon 4-1..
Blue House took any early lead by Alan Golightly after the keeper spilled a shot by Jordon Thompson for Alan to blast it home.Second half dawdon came out and got a fast equalizer to make it 1-1 Dawdon pressed to get a second but it was the Blue House who got the second when Dean Machin hit a long range effort was then missed kicked by the kepper and went under he's legs to make it 2.
Not so long after Dean Machin scored another goal to make it 3-1 and his total to 5 for the season in 2 games before Martin Eduardo Hope made it 4 with a close range effort with his first touch of the game.Blue House were spurred on by another great performance by Jordon Thompson who was man of the match for the second week in a row.
  Chesters defeated Times Inn  by a comfortabe 4-0 scoreline.  A game which was heavily affected by wind was settled by a hattrck  by the impressive Liam Frame,  Coomber added the other.
  Country Park Inn were down to the bare bones but still managed an  impressive  2-1 against Park View. Goals from Evans and Addison did the damage as Country Parlk finally gain some mommentum after a coule of dissapointing seasons.
  City Arms Coachworks ran out easy 6-1 winner vs Travellers Rest. However the day didnt get off to the best off starts as several of the team were too traumatised too play after seeing Danny Smiths ill advised new hairdo. However once the whistle went even the ridiculous glow coming from smiths head could prevent Coachworks from getting down to businness. Goals  Bewick (3) Nelly (2)  and Jake Baker did the damge  as  Coachworks continued their solid start to life in the WCFL.