Match Report for Week Ending 17th April 2010


The race for the first division title is hotting up and looks like it may go to the wire as both teams won their weekend games.
Washington Cricket Club held on to top spot as they eased to a 4-1 success at the expense of Times Inn. Windy conditions and a hard uneven pitch made life difficult for both teams as Washington began well with the wind on their backs causing problems for the visiting back four and it wasn’t long before they took the lead when Phil Ingram was put free inside the box to set up Gavin Pine to finish well.
The second goal soon followed when a mistake by the Times keeper allowed David Laidler to pounce and he finished with ease from close range.  Washington were in a rampant mood and soon made their superiority count when they hit a third goal as Gavin Pine was given plenty of time to strike the ball from distance to give the visiting keeper no chance. 
In the second half The Times came back into the game making it difficult for the home team and were eventually rewarded when they scored directly from a corner.  However normal service was resumed for the Cricketers when substitute David Fittes finished off a good move to put a more realistic view on the score line. 
Colliery Tavern remain in second spot as they won 6-1 at home against a spirited Cambridge Hotel.
Goals from Carl Chapman (2), Michael Bulmer (2), Darren Straughan and Gary Stokell keeps the Tavern’s title charge on track. Cambridge goal came from a spectacular strike from Christopher Bishop.  A special mention must go out to the Cambridge boss Colin Holmes and his side for their enthusiasm and commitment over the season despite at times unable to field their best side.
The Arms City Coachworks won again thanks to a 5-0 win over Park View, this keeps up the Arms hopes of clinching third place.
The Arms started well with some early pressure as they peppered the visitors goal but were thwarted by great saves by the keeper. With a change upfront Ernest Bewick was causing the visitors defence a lot of bother, then after 15 minutes the Arms broke the deadlock, great work down the left wing presented Peter Harding with a simple tap in for his fist goal for the club. After the goal the Arms were made to work hard and went into the break 1-0 up.
 The second half started with the Arms the stronger side but again early pressure was failing to pay off. Steve Herkes then settled the Arms down as he hit a 25 yard screamer to give his side a two goal lead. The View by this time were dejected as the Arms were asserting their authority on the game and it was soon 3-0 as Chris Bewick finished well from a Paul Bainbridge free kick. Two minutes later it was 4-0 as Gordon Pratt-Glendenning struck a left foot volley that left the keeper grasping thin air. Stephen Wright rounded off the scoring with a simple tap in.
Robert Woodward starred for Park View.
Usworth recorded a 2-1 victory at the expense of a depleted Sassco UK. Anthony Pearson replied for Sassco who finished the game with 9 men due to injuries and lack of substitutes.
The Cove look like they will end up with the wooden spoon as they suffered a heavy defeat at the hands of East Durham Spartans. The Cove simply had no answer to the relentless play of the Spartans as the latter ran out easy 8-1 winners.
The Saltgrass gained a welcome three points as they won 1-0 away at Shiney Row Country Park Inn. Tony Wilkinson was the Saltgrass hero hitting the winning goal despite being caught offside throughout the game about 25 times.
A six goal thriller was had between Shiney Row Travellers Rest and Hylton CW Juniors, nothing could separate the sides as they had to settle for a point a piece after an exciting 3-3 draw.
The Travellers raced into a 3-0 lead as goals from Hardwick, Dixon and Sinclair saw them well on top but Hylton pulled a goal back just before half time. The second half was a half to forget for the Travellers as they let slip a two goal lead and shoddy defending saw Hylton hit back with 2 goals to claim a well deserved point.
In the Premier Division Blue House bounced back from cup heartache as they won a seven goal thriller against Houghton Town B 4-3.
Blue House started the brightest and were piling on the pressure on the Houghton defence and took the lead on ten minutes when Luke Morrow lashed in a shot after a goalmouth scramble. The Blue then had a goal disallowed and this propelled the B team into action as they threw the spanner in the works by scoring twice in quick succession which surprised the home side. Blue House had a couple of chance's to draw level before the break but  the Houghton keeper kept them at bay until a strike from Keith Lonsdale brought the sides level going into half time.
 The second half saw the Blue House come out flying but it was Houghton who hit the first blow when the Blue House left gaps at the back and Houghton broke away and took the lead again. But the Blue House never say die sprit kicked in and soon equalised as Dean Machin broke clear to beat the keeper with ease.  Blue House were pressing for the win and were squandering chance after chance and it was left to star man Keith Lonsdaleto show them how to finish as he scored with an outrageous back heel to win the game for Colin Hopes men.
With the future of the Colonel Prior uncertain, they went into their game with Chesters BB with a patched up team and their efforts were in vain as they suffered 4-3 defeat.
The Prior found themselves two goals up thanks to strikes from the dangerous Dale Spence. However the turning point in the game was the penalty given to the Chesters from which they scored to get themselves back into the game. With the Chesters having the better share of the play it wasn’t long before they equalised thanks to another penalty, this knocked the stuffing out of the Prior and they then found themselves 3-2 down. Chesters looked to grab a clinching goal but the Prior had others ideas as they scored a dramatic equaliser thanks to Dale Spence who grabbed his hattrick. More drama was to follow as the Chesters snatched the winning goal in the last minute of the game.
Dawdon CW were on the receiving of a mauling from an impressive Jolly Potters. Goals from Jamie Marshall (3), Michael Wharton (2), Joe Walton (2), Luke Sanders, Michael McCabe, David Keithley, Martin Cullen and an own goal saw the Potters enjoy a 12-3 success.
Aquatic Sports look to have one eye on the cup finals as their league form deserted them as they suffered a 4-2 loss at Hylton CW who were full value for their win.
Scott Hailstone and Craig Watson grabbed consolation goals for the Sports, but they had no answer the play of the Colliers who won the game thanks to goals from Carl Price, Darren Snowball, Adam Drysdale and Graham Bunker.
Hendon FC and Redhouse grabbed a point apiece as they produced an enthralling 4-4 draw at Stadio de Stannington.
Hendon goals came from Kevin Burns (2) and star man Martin Jackson capped an all action display with 2 impressive goals.
More midweek games will now be played until the end of the season and there were several matches played on Monday night.
Shiney Row Travellers Rest have hit a bit of form of late and it continued as they demolished East Durham Spartans 7-1 in their First Division fixture. The Travellers were up for it from the off and were good value for their win as B Rowntree was the star of the show as he hit a stunning hattrick, he backed up in the scoring stakes by Powell, Sinclair, S Dixon and M Dixon. Spartans replied through James Ayre-Mackey.
Colliery Tavern regained top spot as they easily brushed aside third placed Arms City Coachworks 8-2.
Richard Timm hit 2 goals in vain for the Arms, but the Tavern are the leagues top goalscorers and they proved this as they hit the back of the net 8 times, goal machine Michael Bulmer led the way as he grabbed 4 goals, Darren Straughan bagged a brace, Gary Stokell and Carl Chapman got a goal apiece.
Sassco UK slumped to another defeat as they were beaten 7-1 away to Hylton CW Juniors at the Billy Hardy Centre. Mark McDermont grabbed Sassco’s consolation goal despite being reduced to ten men.
In the Premier Division Colonel Prior put out a strong side for their fixture with Blue House and they were rewarded with a point in an entertaining 2-2 draw.
Blue House started the game well with some  great football  and they nearly took the lead when Paul Carter hit the ball from 40 yards  and it sailed over the keepers head and went an inch past the post. Blue House kept the pressure on and were rewarded with a goal, Martin Hope played a 50 yard pass to Michael Patterson and he then took it round four defenders and placed it into the top corner of the net. It was nearly 2-0 but Paul Carter watched on in disbelief as his shot cannoned of the post. Colonel Prior took advantage of Blue House missed chances and equalised when a long ball fell to Ross Mclagan and put it in the net. The Prior had their tails up and were playing with confidence and it wasn’t long before they took the lead as Dale Spence latched onto a through ball to finish with ease.
The second half saw Blue House attacking strongly but they weren’t getting much joy in front of goal until Michael Patterson played the ball through to James Gilhespy who slid it under the keeper legs and into the net to bring the game back level 2-2. The same player should have had all 3 points for the Blue House when he broke through in the last minute but hit the side netting.
Washington Cricket Club failed to reach the final of the Alan Hood Memorial Trophy as they lost their semi final 6-2 against a rampant Jolly Potters. David Fittes hit both goals for the Cricketers.
On Wednesday night Hendon FC moved into second place in the Premier Division as they won 1-0 in a tight game with Colonel Prior. David Rush was the goalscoring hero for the East End side, they also missed a penalty as Martin Jackson scuffed his shot from 12 yards.
Houghton Town B earned a point as they held Chesters BB to a blistering 3-3 draw.
Blue House kept up their slim hopes of a title as they trounced a sorry Redhouse 6-0.
Dawdon CW sprang a major surprise as they beat a lacklustre Aquatic Sports 4-2 at Marley Pots.
In the First Division Washington Cricket Club warmed up for their title decider on Saturday by disposing of and East Durham Spartans 3-0.
Park View won a 5 goal thriller as they beat Cambridge Hotel 3-2.
All cup final line ups are now complete they are as follows:
Alan Hood Memorial Trophy Final
Aquatic Sports v Jolly Potters  (Mon 3rd May 2010. Kick off 10.30am)
Wearmouth & Hylton Charity Cup Final
Colonel Prior v Blue House  (Mon 26th April 2010. Kick off 6.30pm)
TWR Commercial League Challenge Cup Final
Aquatic Sports v Chesters BB  (Fri 7th May 2010. Kick off 6.30pm)
All cup finals will be played at Meadow Park, home of Sunderland RCA.
The league have accepted 4 new teams for the 2010/11 season they are FC Chesters, Thorney Close Inn, Silksworth Golden Fleece and Oddfellows Arms. Any teams interested in joining the league next season could you please contact League General Secretary Peter Maguire on 07545549830.